YUTA on Bessatsu Kadokawa Scene 07
YUTA on Bessatsu Kadokawa Scene 07
Released on
Interview and Text by Tae Omae
Translated JP>ZH by 鶴見楽園; ZH>EN by @dearapril5
L'Arc-en-Ciel 30th Anniversary Special Project: L'Arc-en-Ciel and I
The four-member rock band L'Arc-en-Ciel celebrated its 30th anniversary in February 2021. In this corner, artists and celebrities who support L'Arc-en-Ciel will unravel the band's existence and accumulated history. This time, YUTA from the globally popular dance and vocal group NCT 127 makes an appearance. We asked him about the charm of L'Arc-en-Ciel, a band he has loved since childhood.
YUTA, being the only Japanese member of multinational group NCT 127 that is active worldwide, accepted our online interview in South Korea. His Instagram account has surpassed five million followers in just one year after opening it. In April of this year, he posted a cover on his Instagram of him singing L'Arc-en-Ciel's "Anemone" of which has received tremendous responses from both fandoms. In [this interview] where he elaborated upon the reasons as to why he loves L'Arc-en-Ciel, YUTA not only talks about the charm of the L'Arc's music and live [performances], but also includes his point of view as a performer himself who has been under the dazzling spotlight and is loved by fans from all over the world.
YUTA
The first L'Arc-en-Ciel song that I ever listened to was "READY STEADY GO" which was the theme song for the anime "Fullmetal Alchemist". At that time, I was only about 9 years old. Even though I didn't understand "where" [exactly] they were cool, I already felt a "so cool!" sort of vibe from them, and so I started liking them. That moment when I was watching the anime and also listening to the song was most likely the moment I [started] liking L'Arc-en-Ciel. L'Arc-en-Ciel not only has dark or refreshing songs but also fast songs and abstract songs. And so [because there is musical variety] there are songs of theirs that I would want to listen to on a nice day, listen to while working out, or listen to on a quiet night. Ever since I liked them when I was young, I would always listen to their songs according to the scenery or picture.
I'm from Osaka and so being from the Kansai region is something we have in common. L'Arc-en-Ciel is an artist I respect very much, and I don't want to feign intimacy without permission. However, when the members were doing the MC parts of their performances, and I heard them speak in Kansai dialect, I still felt that "They're from Kansai too~" (laughs).
Because I covered their song, I felt the extraordinariness of L'Arc.
Some time ago, I uploaded a cover of Anemone by L'Arc-en-Ciel on Instagram, and it received very enthusiastic responses. Because I covered only a small part of the song, I paid a little too much attention on technique. I wanted to sing it with feelings, but the key was really too high… (laughs). Because of this, I feel like I haven't achieved the level that I want to show? I myself feel like this. I feel like people who have covered L'Arc-en-Ciel's songs would know this, but Hyde-san's singing will make people unconsciously approach his singing style. There is this inexplicable attraction. I think that I need to properly show my own style next time, so right now, I don't want to try it in an awkward manner.
I chose "Anemone" because it is one of my favorite songs. Not only do I like lighter songs, but I also like songs that are melodic, and I will often listen to some wind music. As a result of this, I also like songs like "Anemone" that add in some orchestral arrangements to the song. Whether it's the lyrics, melody, or Hyde-san's singing, this song sounds very sad, but at the same time, it also depicts an incomparably pure and innocent love. This was my first impression of the song. Songs and works like this that perfectly encapsulate the theme are what really draws me. When I sang the cover, I thought of an "unreciprocated love" kind of emotion. I really like Hyde-san's lyrics. It will make people feel that he is a person that carries such a dreamy and beautiful worldview. I not only love music, but I also like reading novels. I really like tragic stories like this where you have "love that cannot be", or where justice is misinterpreted for evil. This is why I also really like "Romeo and Juliet".
When you listen to L'Arc-en-Ciel's songs, a lot of scenes will appear before your eyes. I think maybe it's because the pandemic has made it hard to travel instantly, but I find myself wanting to listen to their songs more now... Each song will make you feel like you're in a vast field of grass. Their songs can also make you feel like you're in a dark cliff-like place. I am a person who likes to imagine. When I close my eyes and listen to L'Arc-en-Ciel songs, I would often unconsciously lose myself in my own imaginations [of the scenery/image of what their songs produce].
The individual specialty of each member creating a unique music style
You can feel the charm of L'Arc-en-Ciel from their live performances and from their songs' worldview, and this is something [you would be able to feel] without me saying. The members can all write lyrics and create music. The four members all work together towards a grand theme and refine it to a new level. This is their strength. I feel like this unique style is very hard to imitate. It is not easy to find bands like L'Arc-en-Ciel that are able to integrate their worldview, vision, and music all into one. This is also something you would find in Japanese culture.
Although it would be presumptuous of me to talk about the charm of each member, but first of all, Hyde-san's appearance and singing voice really is [where his charms lie]… L'Arc-en-Ciel's songs mostly have a unique and abstract worldview, and most of the time, it will give people the impression "This song was made possible because of Hyde-san's singing." I feel like artists such as him that are able to sing perfectly as if they are one with the song are quite rare recently? Also, because I like drawing, I always look forward to Hyde-san's artistic taste. It is said that he personally handles the whole process of the design work for his solo activities. As an artist, this is also very cool and I have nothing but respect for him. Also, the way his soft way of speaking is such a contrast [to his singing], I find it very attractive.
What I like most about Ken-san is his expression while he is playing the guitar. When the camera pans to him, he closes his eyes as a cigarette just dangles on his mouth while playing the guitar, and I really like it. You will feel happy just by looking at it and will feel a maturely sexy vibe from him. Not only is he technically skilled at playing the guitar, he can also give people an impression that he has "musical expression that is unique to him". This is not only true for Ken-san, but everyone in L'Arc-en-Ciel is like this. Furthermore, Ken-san participated in the composition of a lot of L'Arc-en-Ciel songs, and this is also why I admire him so much. From all the songs Ken-san composed, my favorite is "Flower Burial" / 「花葬」.
Tetsuya-san is often in charge of harmonization. I think that his intense high voice that contrasts Hyde-san is his charm. I think that nobody else but Tetsuya-san has the ability to support Hyde-san's singing, right? I also really like "In your eyes" / 「瞳の住人」that Tetsuya-san composed. It's very hard to explain, and this is not just limited to their song "In your eyes" / 「瞳の住人」, but whenever I listen to L'Arc-en-Ciel's songs, (the picture formed in my mind) is far too immense that it is difficult to express what I feel even with words. However, the one thing that is clear [in my mind] is that their songs make the Japanese language sound so beautiful. An overwhelming amount of the pop music we have today focuses highly on melody or catchy passages as compared to focusing on the lyrics, but in my heart, I look forward to artists like L'Arc-en-Ciel that are able to express beauty in words and bring out emotions.
Yukihiro-san gives me the impression that he is a very disciplined kind of person. I think that to be able to maintain the figure that he has for such a long period of time requires continuous physical training. To be playing the drums for over 10 years, there must have been strict self-management. I want to be [self-disciplined] like him too. I have read in a magazine interview before that he would constantly adjust the song before the deadline, and this made me feel that he has strong self-discipline. You can also feel the huge contrast in his drumming. I think this aspect of him is also very charming.
From the standpoint of a singer
Unfortunately, I haven't been to a live concert by L'Arc-en-Ciel, but I do often watch their videos. Among them, "L'Arc-en-Ciel LIVE 2014 at Japan National Stadium" left a deep impression on me. The members emerged from a capsule. The first day started with "get out from the shell" and the second day started with "CHASE". The opening immediately stirred up the atmosphere. After that, they performed several well-known fast-paced songs such as "HONEY" and "READY STEADY GO", etc. L'Arc-en-Ciel's concert basically runs from sundown until night. Because it is held outdoors, as the night falls, songs with a dark worldview will be performed and the lighting will change accordingly. Watch it and you will not feel bored. In short, "It's so cool!"
From a singer's point of view, L'Arc-en-Ciel is band, while we [as an idol group] have to perform while dancing. Although there is this kind of distinction, their performances can still make people "enjoy the stage from the heart", and this is what I feel is so amazing about them. This is another thing that I am also particular about myself, but as they perform, do they pay attention to "not over-expressing/ over-performing"? Because from their expressions, doesn't it feel like they know their charms very well? This is especially true for Hyde-san who often performs in front of the camera. Although he is working with all his might to sing, his expressions are not overly intense, and he is able to maintain the worldview throughout the performance. It's a live performance and not a pre-recorded one, so it is really impressive. It may not have been planned, and it may have been something done instinctively on the spot – this is something that cannot be said for sure. However, this [performing based on instinct] is how I see it.
In my case, fans are there during the concert, and so I think it is good to follow your instinct and just let go. But actually, we are more often seen on the television by the audience. From the audience's perspective [watching on TV], we need to think about "where would it be better to look at?" We also need to be aware where the camera is, and perform while thinking about "how do I show off my charms?" For this point, I rely on L'Arc-en-Ciel's performance as my reference. There are a lot of things I see from them that I want to try. For example, Hyde-san lying in front of the camera while singing, but it would be difficult to do this for our songs… (laughs). I would definitely want to try it given a chance.
My voice is originally the type that is relatively light, so I want to expand my range and sing my favorite songs. For example, [I want to try] scream-singing that is strong, or something that NCT 127 has not tried before. I have to challenge it. I will explore upon it while listening to L'Arc-en-Ciel's rock.
The world of L'Arc that is full of coolness that people will certainly identify
I often play L'Arc-en-Ciel songs on my radio program 「NCT127 ユウタのYUTA at home」 simply because I want to play my favorite songs (laughs). I originally started the show with the mindset of "letting the fans know me better". [I thought that] if I could share my favorite songs, fashion, and let everyone know what I think about, then that would be great. So if I could serve as a vessel where fans could develop interest in L'Arc-en-Ciel, then I would be very happy. However, I do think my words can come a little too impatient/straightforward, "Don't ask questions! Listen to them once and you'll understand! They're really cool!" (laughs). Conversely, I also hope that L'Arc-en-Ciel would develop some interest in NCT 127 too. Speaking of our group, NCT 127 members HAECHAN and JUNGWOO have recently started humming out L'Arc-en-Ciel songs. When they hear me sing, they would naturally sing along with me. Whenever I introduce songs to members, they would first think "This is sung so well!". And after watching a video performance, they would exclaim "This is such a cool band!"
L'Arc-en-Ciel is very active around the world and has fans across many countries around the world, and this is a similarity we [NCT 127] share with them. Both their live stages and MVs are very elaborate/extravagant. They have also been using CG and other video techniques more often recently. With such consideration on intention, how can it not leave an impact on both Japanese and international fans? Nowadays, pop music is what is mainstream around the world, and overseas rock music from bands can sound rather simple. Using artistic painting as an analogy, it becomes difficult to digest when there are way too many details. However, L'Arc-en-Ciel will take the smallest of details and magnify them, and this is what fans like about them. There are people who find beauty in a small detail viewed upon a full white canvas. However, there will also be people who will take a liking to a painting where the entire canvas is filled with so much detail. In my case, I am the latter.
However, they do not "deliberately aim to be active around the world." Isn't it that in the face of fans who cheer them on and people who take interest in their music, they just "want to present their own music, give good performances, and present themselves perfectly to the greatest extent for everyone?" I feel like we [NCT 127] do the same too where we do not really pay much mind to things like nationality. Because L'Arc-en-Ciel has already attained success in Japan, they will be able to sell well no matter the kind of song they release. However, they didn't rely on this and have instead chosen to advance overseas, and so from that I just felt their "never-ending coolness" for having the courage to challenge the unknown – always motivated to do music and to do the things they love. This is why I think they are very cool and remarkable.
The history of L'Arc and imagining a possible relationship
L'Arc-en-Ciel is already on its 30th anniversary this year… even older than my current age (laughs). When you think about it, it really is amazing. In such a long period of time, there must be things that we do not know of. They have experienced so much to be where they are today. For a group such as L'Arc-en-Ciel to have gone through so many years together, the members would have spent time together longer than friends or even family.
We [NCT 127] are at our 5th year. If we count the time we spent together as trainees, then it would be 9 years. If you look at it in terms of time, it feels quite short. However, we [as a group] are able to understand each other's feelings and thoughts even if words are not spoken. I think that they [L'Arc] would certainly have this kind of relationship as well.
When you're with family, isn't in that you don't usually really become noisy? Not because your relationship is bad, but because you are able to get along naturally. It's like a body part, is it not? You don't really need to constantly focus/worry about it too much. [T/N: because they can function naturally on their own].
In addition, as a group working together, other members can fill in for your shortcomings, and in return you can fill in for the parts that others cannot do. And this is where deep respect for each other is founded. Aside from respect, communication with one another is something that should never be lacking, and this something we constantly do. Like "In these kinds of situations, you have to listen to the leader's decision" or "If we do it like this, then we can finish faster" (laughs). Because we have been together since we were trainees, we naturally became like this. Of course, there are times when we had to go through some difficult times, but we are able to get to where we are today because nobody gave up. I think to conclude it all, perseverance is the most important.
The members of L'Arc-en-Ciel also have activities of their own. At the center of it all, they all have their own music and own paths that they've taken, and this is exactly why I think the group has continued together until today. If we want to be active like this for a long time in the future, each person's strength is indispensable, and I believe that we would have to constantly expand what each of us can do on our own for it to work.
I hope that L'Arc-en-Ciel will be able to move forward courageously into the future as they do today. Of course I want to watch them live! To be able to watch in person will certainly be much better. Even though I'm a little bit scared, if I could work with them in the future, I would want to create something with them from scratch. If we can, I would want to make a song that would leave a strong impression. We can set the theme clearly and design the cover ourselves. For example, we can ask Hyde-san to paint. I want to try creating the designs and recording [together] with all my heart from beginning to end.
YUTA's BEST 3 Pick
A song with a shocking worldview: Flower Burial /「花葬」
The worldview of this song's MV left a big impact on me. Although it was sad, it was very moving. Hyde-san who appeared with his hair swept back and eyebrows shaved off surprised me (laughs). I also want to try that kind of hairstyle if I have the opportunity. Basically, compared to burning songs, I like L'Arc-en-Ciel songs that are dark. For example, "finale", and "Don't be Afraid" that is fast paced but has a heavy feel, etc.
A song that I want to listen to live: Poem of Love / 「叙情詩」
I really like this song and I would want to hear an acapella version too! If I get an opportunity to meet L'Arc-en-Ciel, I would also like to hear "READY STEADY GO" live once. I want to hear Hyde-san's "♪Are you Fxxking ready?" – it would surely stir up the atmosphere (laughs). I also wish to hear "Flower Burial" live and hear the slow-paced beginning that is different from the original version.
A song I would want to cover next time: In your eyes / 「瞳の住人」
I want to sing it, but like "Anemone", the key is too high and so it's difficult to sing (laughs). But still, I would like to challenge it if I have a chance. If it's too hard for me to sing alone, then I would ask an NCT 127 member to sing it together with me (laughs). When I was a student, I would definitely sing "READY STEADY GO" whenever I went to the KTV. During the winter, I would sing "Footprints in the Snow" / 「雪の足跡」. I will be picking different songs according to the season.
✽ ✽ ✽
Magazine Publication Information (Archive)
Purchase Links:
- Physical - Amazon, Kadokawa Store, Kinokuniya, Rakuten, Yodobashi
- Digital - BookWalker, Honto, Kindle, Rakuten Kobo
Note: Publications linked may be sold out, out of print, or otherwise unavailable.

Comments
Post a Comment