YUTA Nikkei Interview
YUTA Nikkei Interview
Released on
Translated JP>ZH by 中本悠太_OnlyForYUTA; ZH>EN by @dearapril5
Next Story: Beyond Idols
"As long as there is passion and a sense of responsibility, anyone can do K-POP." – NCT YUTA
Tokyo, Japan and Seoul, South Korea, where the temperature remains low through the end of the year, have been connected online. On the month of December 2021, YUTA (26 years old), a Japanese member of popular K-POP group NCT that is active around the world, accepted an interview with Nikkei News. Because of the pandemic, he has been unable to return to his home country and has been homesick. What are YUTA's thoughts now as someone who is still active as part of a top K-POP group on the world stage?
What was the reason you decided to go to South Korea?
YUTA: When I was in freshman high school, I saw TVXQ's (a senior group from SM
Entertainment of which is the same company Yuta belongs in) performance, and I
felt that I also wanted to be a person [like TVXQ] who could move people by
singing and dancing. I even gave up soccer which was something I worked hard
on for so long. At that time, it just so happened that I saw SM holding its
first global audition in Japan. I secretly went to the audition and passed. I
became a trainee (with the goal of debuting) and went to Seoul.
Were there any objections from the people around you?
YUTA: My mom kept
saying, "You should go after you finish high school instead." She was very
worried about me. My dad told me, "This is your life. You can take on the
challenges you want to take, but you must go with the intention of never
returning no matter what happens." and pushed me to go. My friends from my
hometown (Kadoma City, Osaka Prefecture) are really nice people and they told
me "We will protect Kadoma well, you can go." When I heard my friends say
this, I felt really happy and thought "I'll do my best in Korea and in the
world."
What difficulties did you face when you first arrived in Seoul?
YUTA: At
first, the biggest difficulty I faced was the language barrier. Next were the
cultural differences. I was only a 16-year-old Japanese high school student
who came here alone among a group of trainees that came from different
countries. Because of the differences in language, sense of distance, and
emotional expression combined, even though everyone wanted to get along well,
there were just times when [all these differences] brought about even bigger
differences.
Although I still feel some differences now, I think that these are simply differences in each individual person and has nothing to do with what country one comes from. Even people who come from the same country have moments in which they do not see eye to eye. So instead of talking about the differences between countries, I think it's differences that exist in how people express themselves. But cultural differences can bring about interesting things. [For example], even though members who come from English-speaking countries give off a very easy-going vibe, they are very reliable when they are serious. I learned a lot from that contrast.
We are currently practicing in preparation for the concert [in Seoul]. The concert director speaks in English, and then it gets translated to Korean and Japanese. The Korean and Japanese languages constantly fight in my head, and the members would copy some Japanese phrases I inadvertently say like "It hurts!" In return, I also use some short English phrases. Mixing languages like this is our normal.
Which stage is the most unforgettable one to you?
YUTA: We toured 11
cities in North America back in 2019 for a month. We traveled by bus as we
toured, and it left a deep impression on me. We usually travel by plane, but
we traveled by bus specifically [for this leg of the tour]. The members ate
and slept on the bus. It was physically tough, but it left a deep impression
on me. Looking back at it now, it was a good experience.
The performance we had in my hometown, Osaka, is also unforgettable. I was very touched when I heard everyone say "Welcome home." Working overseas can often make you feel lonely, but whenever I think about all the people who care about me, my spirits get lifted up. I can feel the support of Japanese fans even though I am unable to meet them in person due to the pandemic. Their support is the source my strength.
You can see that you have a wide range of fans when you look at comments on
your Instagram.
YUTA: The way fans express their love vary across
regions, and sometimes it surprises me, but the love and enthusiasm I receive
from them remain the same. It's been roughly a year since I started my radio
program in Japan. Recently, I received a message from a child as young as a
kindergartener who was interested in NCT. I also feel like the number of male
fans have increased. [The increase in fans] makes me want to work even harder.
As a Japanese person in a group that is active around the world, I feel a sense of pride and responsibility. I worked really hard when I debuted. Looking back at it now, because the other members were there, the sense of responsibility I felt was small. But as we toured around the world and our fanbase grew bigger, the stronger my sense of responsibility for my every action became.
What realizations have you gained about your work since the pandemic?
YUTA: During these difficult times, I have received so many messages on
my radio that said that listening to our music gave them strength. I realized
once again that this job is so special in that it allows me to be a part of
people's lives and be a source of strength to them.
Because of the pandemic, we started doing online concerts and discovered this new outlet to perform that allows people all around the world to watch. It also allows us to make use of CG (computer graphics) on our stages to make it more fun. Still, nothing is more memorable than the tension felt in an in-person concert. We are finally going to hold an offline concert in Seoul with an audience this December. Recently, I have been thinking a lot about the first concert we did after our debut. I am excitedly looking forward to the concert.
It has been two years since I've gone overseas, including Japan, and there are times when it felt frustrating. We are only humans and there are times when it also affects us emotionally like "because of this pandemic again…" But whenever I think about all the fans around the world waiting for us, I think that I must do my best in what I'm able to do now and be ready to stand in front of the fans at any given time.
It's been 10 years since you've been in Seoul. Do you think that K-POP can be
shown regardless of nationality?
YUTA: Yes, I do believe so. If you like
K-POP, and have the passion, sense of responsibility, and the ability to
perform well with a team as a whole, then I think you can do K-POP
no matter who you are.
I have also wondered whether it is really necessary to distinguish between K-POP and J-POP. Because of gradual globalization, groups are now being made up of members that come from various countries and regions. They may be differentiated from one another now, but this differentiation may disappear in the future.
What is your goal in the future?
YUTA: I will reveal a song of my own on
this tour. Starting with that, I would like to discover my own colors that I
can't show on the team. I also hope to enthusiastically challenge more
activities in Japan.
I think that to be in a position to have dreams and goals means you're in a blessed environment, and it is best to act on it as soon as you find your goals. I just so happened to have found my goal at the age of 16 and came across the right opportunity after taking action early. You can also slowly search for it without worrying too much. Even though it is a little scary to start and take initiative, I still plan to take on even more challenges in the future.
✽ ✽ ✽
Please support YUTA by engaging with the web version of this interview here:

Comments
Post a Comment