YUTA at Home OFFICIAL BOOK Vol. 1
YUTA at Home OFFICIAL BOOK Vol. 1
Released on
Translated by @cloudNYT
HANDWRITTEN MESSAGE FROM YUTA
"Thank you to all the listeners!
I'm a little nervous because I don't often write letters, but I still tried to write one to express my gratitude to everyone (laughs).
I have learned so much since the start of YUTA at Home. I've spent a lot of time asking myself what I can convey to you all after coming to understand everyone's love, worries and various feelings.
In the future, I will also continue to grow along with everyone's messages. ^_^"
INTERVIEW WITH YUTA
On December 2020, YUTA's first title broadcast "YUTA at Home" started for a
limited time. What was your first reaction when the radio was decided?
YUTA: Honestly, I was a bit unsure when I first heard about it. As someone who
is not very good at speaking, I was worried about whether I could speak alone
for so many minutes. But because I could not see the Japanese fans during the
pandemic, I thought, "It would be nice if I could communicate with Japanese
fans through the radio." This helped me to take a step towards challenging the
radio.
When the radio was decided, I immediately told my family because they would
have found out about it quickly no matter what. But I couldn't bring myself to
tell the members because I was shy (laughs). Well, they should know about it
by now… but I never actually told them about it myself. If I was told "You're
doing a radio", then I would be like "Yes~ Why do you ask?" to change the
topic (laughs).
The program was started with the intent of creating an at home atmosphere as
if you were in YUTA's room. It trends on social media every time. The first
broadcast received a tremendous response and trended number one worldwide.
What do you think about when you look back on the first recording?
YUTA: The first recording was when I officially challenged it. Because of the
pandemic, it was not recorded in a recording studio. And because it was noisy,
I became even more nervous, and I didn't know what I was saying. "If I am like
this, then could I even continue next time?" This was how I honestly felt at
that moment (laughs). Thinking back to that time, the producer also gave me an
instruction to talk in a more "at home" feeling. I remember really panicking,
"What feeling is talking with an at home feeling?!"
What was the reaction to this broadcast?
YUTA: Because there were a lot of noise captured in the first and second
broadcasts, I received a lot of "Where exactly was this recorded?" questions
from fans (laughs). I will never forget (laughs). My family and friends caught
my nervousness and said, "You are reciting (laughs). Fighting next time!"
How do you overcome the anxiety and nervousness of talking alone?
YUTA: I didn't do anything in particular about it. It's something you get used
to after all. As the number of times [I did it] increased, it became more
enjoyable and the nervousness eased. But acting stupid alone in the recording
room and then poking fun at myself after, I still have not gotten used to it.
It's a bit lonely (laughs).
Two months after the radio started, when your performance as a radio DJ was
slowly taking shape, it was decided to extend the program. The program was
then regularly broadcasted nationwide starting April 2021.
YUTA: I am very grateful to the fans for giving this great opportunity to me.
From the bottom of my heart, I sincerely feel that it is thanks to the support
of the fans that I am able to have my own program like this.
After the radio started, was there anything that changed in your way of life?
YUTA: Well, there didn't seem to be a sudden change in my life. But when it
comes to playing songs on the radio, when a person beside me tells me about a
good song, I would think, "This song would be nice for the radio!"
When it first started, I would think about what I would say… Recently, I don't
think about it at all (laughs). I think that the essence of radio is also this
sense of presence. Because I don't determine [what to say] in advance, I am
able to show my true self and say sincere words. If I made a habit out of
directly saying what I had thought out in advance, then the instant I come
unprepared [and have to say something], I won't be able to do anything…
Let me reveal something a little bit. The things I say about myself on the
radio may be a little bit exaggerated (laughs). No, no, I'm kidding.
Everything is true. The listeners may sometimes doubt the 〇〇 YUTA
[nicknames] and ask, "Is this for real?" but those are all true!
There are several other ways to communicate with fans, for example, Instagram.
Does what you show to fans change with different mediums?
YUTA: There is no such change. If we're talking about the difference, it's
that the radio can only be done with your voice. It's not like a video where
you can use gestures or expressions to convey your feelings. So, I choose my
words carefully and speak in a gentle voice.
You pay attention to your choice of words and the tone of your voice so that
YUTA at Home can be a time of healing for the listeners.
YUTA: I also pay attention to the pace in which I speak. Maybe it's because
I'm from Kansai, but I can't help but speak fast. I try to slow my talking
speed down. But when I'm in high spirits, I speak really fast. I pay attention
to this. Speaking of which, fans often tell me to speak more in Kansai
dialect. When I really speak the Kansai dialect that I know, I am able to show
my real self more and shorten the distance with the fans, so I want to use it
more often. But since I'm used to speaking in standard language, my Kansai
dialect doesn't come out as easily… Ah, I guess this isn't the case. When I'm
back to my senses, it'll come out.
It's been a year and a half since the radio started. Please tell us a new side
to yourself and an aspect of growth that you have noticed through this
program.
YUTA: It's not exactly a new side, but I've once again confirmed that I have a
childish side whenever I would joke and mess around on the radio. When you are
10 years old, doesn't it feel like those in their 20s are like adults? But
when I reached that age, I thought that I would definitely still be like this
in my 40s (laughs). The appearance and way of thinking would of course change
along with the change in environment and time, but the innocence at the core
will not change in the future.
As for the aspect in which I have grown, I am able to deliver speeches
smoothly at the awards ceremony of year-end music programs! It's not really
easy to switch quickly from Korean to Japanese in my brain and speak with my
own words, but ever since I became a radio DJ, I have improved in giving
speeches. I am always asked to say something in Japanese, and because I could
practice my speaking skills on the radio, I was able to finish it smoothly.
YUTA whose speaking skills have improved by doing the radio, please share a
lesson to pass on to fans.
YUTA: I have one instance that comes to mind. When I was learning Korean,
there was a time when I was frustrated because I couldn't communicate
properly. At that time, I muttered "I can speak Japanese well anyway" in front
of my teacher. To that my teacher said, "That is not the case. Even if you use
Japanese, you still can't properly convey what you want to say right now." If
a person does not make it a habit of saying what they think, even if it's in
their native language, they will be unable to communicate their sentiments to
the other party. I still remember these words until now. There are also times
on the radio when I reflect and think, "I didn't convey my thoughts properly."
It's probably an indication that I haven't contemplated about the problem
deeply in my daily life. So when I come across this situation, I review it
after the recording and sort my thoughts out again.
In your program, you have challenged different projects, what segment has left
a deep impression on you?
YUTA: The segment where listeners send messages! Writing a message may seem
like such an easy task, but it actually requires a lot of energy and time.
It's not easy. Despite that, the fans support my activities, care about my
health, and still send messages filled with love every week. I am very moved
by this kindness. Answering everyone's troubles is also a time for me to
re-examine myself and have an in-depth reflection. Even though I am giving
answers to the listeners' troubles, some of the words I say are actually words
I also say to myself. Through this segment, I once again realize that everyone
has all sorts of troubles and struggle through them. I am not alone after all.
When answering the listeners' concerns, is there anything that you pay
attention to?
YUTA: Do not deny them. I am not the type to be good at impositions like "You
should do it like this." I believe that everyone has their own various reasons
and beliefs. This is why I don't want to impose my own beliefs onto other
people. I want to understand what the other party is troubled with and find
the root of what causes it. Wouldn't it be better to help like that? I do my
best to help the troubled people take a step towards the path that they
themselves genuinely want to take.
Please tell us how you resolve your own problems.
YUTA: I am actually not the type to confide in others about my problems.
Discussing it with another person is the last resort. But recently, I've
become able to confide my problems to my close friends. I finally realized
that I could resolve my troubles faster if I honestly ask someone for help.
The segment that left a deep impression on the program's producer is the same
as YUTA's and is the segment with the listeners' messages. Episode 57 in
particular where the message talked about sending their child off to Tokyo
[for college], hearing YUTA's own experience linked with the answer was very
moving.
YUTA: I could also clearly recall the answer that I gave at that time. Until
now, I can't forget the image of my mom standing as she sent me off [to
Korea].
Another segment that left a deep impression on the producer is the board game
that the staff have planned and prepared on their own. YUTA's impersonations
have received great response!
YUTA: Of all the board games that I have challenged to date, the impersonation
mission takes up about 60% of the board. It is designed to be something that I
absolutely cannot avoid (laughs). So whenever I play the board game on the
show, my mind is filled with "Can I go through this impersonation smoothly?"
(laughs).
In order to challenge the board game in the future, have you considered
increasing your impersonation repertoire?
YUTA: I have absolutely no intention of increasing it! Prepare to see the same
impersonations with the same quality every time (laughs)! I will go forward
like this!
Speaking of popular segments on the show, YUTA Quiz is another one. How are
the questions decided?
YUTA: When I can't think of a question, I go and ask my family like "what kind
of a kid was I?" It's surprisingly difficult to come up with questions about
yourself! There were also a lot of rejected questions (laughs). It's a
struggle every time, but in retrospect, maybe I was able to look back on
myself so far because of YUTA Quiz.
You mentioned your family just now. They are also often brought up on the
radio.
YUTA: The relationship in the Nakamoto family is very good. The family is very
lively every time after the broadcast. It's like a festival of nonstop
messages! When a topic from the show trends on social media, my family will
tell me, "This topic is hot!" There are also times when they would send
complaints saying, "I have never said that!" (laughs).
You have also introduced a lot of cultural works such as songs, anime, and
movies on the radio. Among them is YUTA's Power Play. Do you have a specific
method of choosing songs?
YUTA: I basically choose songs that I like. People I know also recommend me
songs, so based on my mood at the time, I introduce the songs that I find
interesting. There are a lot of people around me who work in music, so I often
have conversations like, "This song is nice, who is it by?" in my daily life
and naturally gather information. If I had to classify it, the music that I
like is rather intense. I basically like rock, but I also like music that
calms me like songs by Aoi Teshima and orchestral music. [My preferences] in
movies are just like that of music. I like a wide range of genres and watch
moving stories and comedy. But horror films are an absolute no. I will not
watch!
The program also receives music and movie recommendations from listeners.
YUTA: Yes! It's a good opportunity to know about works that you would not have
encountered if you only lived in a world of your own interests. It makes me
happy! In the future, I hope everyone will tell me more about the works that
they recommend.
There is also a segment "This week's what the heck!" where you introduce
moments you can't help but complain about. There are a lot of funny stories.
Do you have any "What the heck!" moment recently?
YUTA: I love natto so much and eat natto so much that I am called "Natto
YUTA". Recently, I mistakenly bought 30 packs of it online (laughs). Even
though I've said I love it, buying 30 packs at once made me go, "What the heck
am I doing?" (laughs). I will do my best to finish it all.
The program has also introduced a lot of ways to relax. Please tell us what
you recently do to relax.
YUTA: Recently, I've been into drinking a highball while having jazz music
with a bonfire and forest in the background playing on the television at home.
It's a must to have the lights at home dimmed at this time. I never listened
to jazz in the past. I seem to have taken a step to being an adult and started
listening to it recently.
Speaking of which, there are times on the radio that you say you want to be a
dandy/classy man, have you analyzed how close you are now to your ideal?
YUTA: Listening to jazz may be one of the steps towards becoming a dandy man
(laughs). If you ask me how close I am… Ah, but a dandy man doesn't say he
wants to be a dandy man (laughs). So, I'm still far from it. Come the time I
don't mention the word anymore, then it's a sign that I have become the ideal
person.
So far, BoA, TVXQ Changmin, and NCT Shotaro have been invited as guests on the
radio. Please tell us some memories you have with these three people.
YUTA: I was very nervous in my conversations with BoA-senior, so my memories
have all flown away (laughs). She is very beautiful. I noticed that she cut
her bangs. I remember it very well because it was a hot topic. Even though she
came as a guest, I was very thankful that she also guided me throughout the
conversation.
Changmin-senior would often ask, "Are you working hard? Let's have a drink
together next time!" He has a very loving brother presence to me. I figured
that we should talk with the same feeling that we usually do. Both of them are
very humble and their Japanese are also very good. If they ever come again, I
would like to know more about them on a personal level.
For Shotaro, don't the two of us give an atmosphere that we've always been
together? It was very fun. If he ever comes again, I want to play a board game
again! It's definitely more fun playing the game with others than playing
alone (laughs).
Who would you like to invite in the future?
YUTA: For members, it would be Doyoung and Jaehyun. Doyoung likes Japanese
songs and is working hard in learning Japanese. Jaehyun and I have a similar
sense of humor. For example, often times when I do something silly, other
members would be confused, but only Jaehyun would be laughing. Other than the
members, I would also like to invite my fellow co-stars from the movie
HiGH&LOW THE WORST X.
In February this year, you returned to Japan after two years. In that one
month, how was life like in Japan after such a long time? Did you get to see
your family?
YUTA: I worked hard and played hard. It was very fulfilling. But I didn't get
to see my family. I told them, "Let's meet at Kyocera Dome, NCT 127's final
stop of the dome tour."
You also recorded the radio during your time in Japan. How did you feel?
YUTA: The microphone was super nice. My first thought was, "Thank you for
making my voice sound so lovely." (laughs). It was also the first time I met
the staff in person ever since I started the radio over a year ago! We always
met online, so when we actually met face to face, I felt an incredible feeling
of "everyone is finally here!" From the recording studio, you could also see
the flowing river that was beside the radio station. It was very beautiful and
left a deep impression on me.
Is there anything you want to try on the radio?
YUTA: I want to read more messages. It would also be interesting if I could
talk directly to the listeners! I would be very happy if I could do this.
What do you think is the charm of DJ YUTA?
YUTA: There is a small sense of awkwardness (laughs). The cute part of me
comes out and that is my charm. Hahaha, I said it myself (laughs).
Lastly, what kind of place is YUTA at Home to you?
YUTA: It is a place where I can freely be myself. Talking about things in my
daily life on the radio puts me instantly at ease. The time I spend doing the
radio is very precious and important to me. So from now on, I will take it
easy and continue to work as I have done so far.
✽ ✽ ✽
Publication Information
(Archive)
Purchase Links: No longer available (as of end of 2022)

Comments
Post a Comment