YUTA Modelpress Interview for Cool Doji Danshi

YUTA Modelpress Interview for Cool Doji Danshi
Released on
Translated by @cloudNYT

NCT 127's Yuta Nakamoto (27) will be starring in his first drama as Hayate Ichikura on Drama 25's Cool Doji Danshi (every late night Friday starting from 24:52), which will start airing on April 14 on the TV Tokyo Network. Modelpress conducted an interview with Nakamoto, who continues to attract fans from around the world as an artist and also continues his work as an actor. He talks about his thoughts on appearing in the drama, members encouraging him, and his own clumsy episodes.

The original work is a manga of the same name written by Kokone Nata and serialized in Gangan Pixiv, with the series selling over 800,000 copies. It is a popular work that has been turned into an anime, of which started airing on TV Tokyo last October 2022. These four cool and handsome men have different occupations and ages, but what they have in common is that they are all clumsy. The "cool and clumsy guys", who can make their clumsiness look cool, have a fateful encounter brought about by their clumsiness. While they face troubles as everyday modern guys, they help each other from time to time and gradually develop their friendship. It is a heartwarming story depicting the daily lives of these beloved boys.

Nakamoto plays the role of Hayate who is the "embarrassed and reflective type". In 2022, he made his debut as an actor in the movie HiGH&LOW THE WORST X and became a hot topic for playing "the strongest man" Ryo Suzaki. This time, he will be having his TV drama debut playing the lead role of a "clumsy college student", which is said to be the complete opposite of his previous role.

In addition to Nakamoto, the drama will star Maito Fujioka playing Shun Futami who is the "bluff it out and stoic type", Dori Sakurada playing Takayuki Mima who is the "oblivious and unfazed type", and Takumi Kawanishi playing Souma Shiki who is the "accept it and stay positive type".

INTERVIEW

This will be your first time to act in a drama playing the lead role. Is there anything that you are conscious of as the leading actor?
YUTA: Even though I'm playing the leading role, whether it be this or with HiGH&LOW THE WORST X, there are wonderful actors with more experience than I do, so I am very conscious of doing my best to keep up with them. Of course, I also take initiative in communicating, so I hope that with this, we can create synergy and other various atmospheres.

The character is the complete opposite of the character you played in HiGH&LOW THE WORST X. What was your impression when you first heard about this role?
YUTA: Of course I was happy, but I thought that Hayate's aura and atmosphere were a little different from mine. I was a little worried about that, but after I cut my hair, dyed it, and put on the costume, I felt like I was getting closer to the image of the character. I usually wear piercings and a lot of cool clothing, so I felt like I found a new me, and that this new me isn't that bad (laughs). I thought that it wasn't so hard to understand why this cute fashion attracts people. Today was the first day of filming, but I feel that I will be able to get even closer to the character, so I am looking forward to it. I'm also looking forward to everyone's reaction seeing me go from Suzaki to Hayate.

How did you prepare before filming?
YUTA: The most difficult thing about filming this time was that about half of the scenes were internal monologues. So when I read the script by myself, I would unconsciously speak out what's inside Hayate's mind. However, there are a lot of scenes in the actual performance where I have to convey it only through facial expressions without having to speak out loud, so I still feel difficulties in that aspect. Today was the first time I filmed a scene where there was internal monologue, and I had to make an embarrassed facial expression while matching it with what the staff was saying, and it was difficult. Currently, I practice by recording my own voice and doing the facial expression for those parts.

You will be co-starring with actors from the same generation. Is there anything that has influenced you?
YUTA: We met for the first time yesterday, and I felt that Sakurada-san was calm and familiar with everything. Although he didn't teach me anything directly, I learned a lot from him by seeing the way he speaks and the way he conducts himself in interviews, and I thought, "So this is how he prepares for the role."

What is your impression of Hayate?
YUTA: At first, I thought he was very cool and unapproachable, but inside he is very talkative and shy. Although he is very clumsy, I think he has a straightforward and honest personality.

Please tell us what you pay attention to in bringing out Hayate.
YUTA: We just started filming, so there haven't been scenes where I can show those parts yet. But the most attractive thing about Cool Doji Danshi is that even though they're cool, they also mess up. I think this cuteness is one of the points that the viewers find attractive. The director asked me to get into it completely.

Do you have anything to model off the cuteness from?
YUTA: Hayate likes animals, and I also like animals a lot. I think we have some similarities in that respect. For example, I feel healed when I see a dog, so I want to take those feelings and expand from there.

Do you have a clumsy side yourself?
YUTA: I'm very clumsy. I'm the type where if I do one thing, I can't do the other. My manager also said to me, "Your personalities may be different, but isn't he similar to you?" (laughs). Hayate is more modest, so that's where we differ.

Please tell us an episode of when you were clumsy.
YUTA: A clumsy episode (laughs)! Is it okay? Do you have enough time (laughs)? Hmmm… I've forgotten my phone, and my current AirPods are my fifth pair… I left my passport twice on the plane when we were on our world tour recently. Yesterday, when I was on the plane, I reclined my seat to sleep, but when I had to put it back up before landing, I pressed the wrong button. I kept on pressing it, but it wouldn't go back up. The flight attendant told me, "Please put your seat back to its upright position." But we stared at each other for 5 seconds (laughs).

When do you feel cool?
YUTA: To be honest, I'm always aware of my "cool self" when I am on stage. I think there is a certain color that only I can bring out when on stage, so I really like that side of myself.

Hayate is the "embarrassed and reflective type" and a "college student with no individuality and is worried about his future." Do you relate to him?
YUTA: I've liked flashy clothes and music since I was little, so I have never worried about lacking a sense of individuality. However, Hayate has his charms without that individuality, and he just doesn't notice it, so I'd like to tell Hayate, "You are fine the way you are."
I rarely feel embarrassed, but I do have a bit of self-deprecating feelings where I'm like "I did it again," so that's something we have in common. For example, not being cool when I wanted to be cool… I was a little embarrassed during the 5-second photoshoot earlier (do a pose challenge), and I've lost track of where I placed my phone about 3-4 times today, so at times like that, I go, "Ah…" But generally, I don't feel embarrassed, so I guess I'm more like Shun who is the "bluff it out and stoic type."

How would you compare yourself to "〇〇 men"?
YUTA: I am a "super clumsy guy" (laughs). No longer cool, I'm just clumsy. Whenever we eat, my members often say, "You have something here." I don't notice it myself (laughs). I put that much food and often spill on my clothes.

If you had to pick a member, who in NCT 127 is clumsy?
YUTA: Who could it be… But Taeyong loses his things so much that he could compete with me. He's probably on his 10th pair of AirPods (laughs). But I think that there are more interesting people on our team rather than clumsy ones.

What do you mean by interesting people?
YUTA: Like Taeil. "Cool and often zones out guy" (laughs). I don't know if he's cool, but he doesn't move. He has the same expression 24 hours a day.

Your acting works are increasing. Do you feel that things are taking shape?
YUTA: Actually, I don't feel it yet. This is my first time challenging a TV drama, and the character is opposite of the character I played the last time, so I'm looking forward to seeing the reaction of the viewers and how it would feel when it wraps up. Right now, I'm just enjoying myself rather than thinking about it.

Please tell us when you've felt you've given back to the group activities.
YUTA: I'm grateful that HiGH&LOW THE WORST X was released in Indonesia, and people from various countries have told me during fansigns, "I learned about you from the movie." So when I hear about these stories directly, I feel, "I'm giving back to the team." I'm happy that they've come to like me because of the movie.

How did your members react to your acting work?
YUTA: They were very happy so that makes me happy. I'm very grateful that the work I do alone has increased. After all, we've been working as a team for a long time, so I feel very happy when the members push me on and support me saying, "Do your best!" or "It's really good!" And I also feel, "I'll do my best!"

What was the reaction from your fans?
YUTA: A lot of people say it's good. I think there will be those who say that this character is "It's just like Yuta" and those who say that "It's different from the usual Yuta Nakamoto." NCT 127 has quite a lot of hip-hop songs with strong sounds, so I would be happy if everyone enjoys the heartwarming themes and expression in music in this.

Lastly, please tell us your future goals as an artist and actor.
YUTA: I would like to try something new in music. Whether it be in genre or in style, I'd like to take action on my own in 2023. Of course, I would like to continue working as an actor in the future. Right now, I'm taking Japanese acting lessons remotely from Korea. And so I would like to do my best in both of these areas.
What's more, I think we live in an era where hobbies can also be turned into work, so I would like to find hobbies and work hard on social media in that aspect. After all, non-comeback periods become a period of time where it's difficult to show what I'm currently doing. I've been thinking that I don't like being idle when there are no group activities, so I want to upload the songs I've made on Instagram and release song covers to show my fans what I'm doing. Anyway, I want to run full speed in 2023!

Thank you very much.

INTERVIEW TIDBITS

The day of this interview is on Valentine's Day. Did you greet your member Jaehyun (born February 14) on his birthday?
YUTA: Oh. Jaehyun's birthday… I haven't sent Jaehyun a message yet (laughs). I'm jealous that his birthday is on the 14th so I didn't send one. He's born on the 14th, so everyone gives him some Valentine's chocolates and says "Happy Birthday", right?... What I just said was a lie (laughs). But I did greet him "Happy Birthday" before coming to Japan.

There are a lot of NCT 127 members whose birthdays are in February. Has anyone already celebrated?
YUTA: Johnny (born February 9) is a real gentleman. He's probably the only one who never fails to give birthday presents to the members every year. Johnny does it every year, so I gave him a nice little wine as a present.

INTERVIEW POSTSCRIPT

During the interview, there were times when the staff corrected him when he said something incorrectly, thus showing his "cool clumsy guy" side. He also showed his enthusiasm by holding up the logo board during the photoshoot saying, "It's Valentine's Day!" Even though he's busy with activities in both Japan and South Korea, he didn't look tired at all. It was impressive seeing him answer questions from reporters in a clear manner.

✽ ✽ ✽


Please support YUTA by engaging with the original link to this interview here.

Cool Doji Danshi is now available on DVD and Blu-ray with ENGLISH SUBTITLES. Check out the product details and find available purchasing options here.

Comments