YUTA on 2023.05.31 anan No. 2349 COVER with Takumi Kawanishi

YUTA on 2023.05.31 anan No. 2349 COVER with Takumi Kawanishi
Released on
Interview and text by Suhi Yun and Mieko Sakai
Translated by @cloudNYT

Regular Edition Cover
Special Edition Cover

Yuta Nakamoto (NCT 127)

What Lies Beyond the Challenge

Yuta Nakamoto, who continues to expand his range of activities in Japan with movies and dramas while being active globally as a member of NCT 127, is a rare existence. Under the skies of Tokyo, he talked about himself, the drama he's starring in, and his dreams for the future.

In the drama Cool Doji Danshi that is currently airing, Yuta Nakamoto plays the role of Hayate Ichikura, a university student who is the 'embarrassed and reflective type' of clumsy.

"I'm also very clumsy. I'm often so clumsy that there's a phrase among the fans that goes like "Yuta did Yuta again!" That is why I can relate to Hayate's clumsiness. But when I mess up, I just think, "Ah, I did it again!" And I don't feel as embarrassed as Hayate does. People around me must be thinking, "He messed up again!" (laughs). Everyone is very kind, so I think everyone is quietly watching over me with care."

Hayate, who is still a university student, carries feelings of uncertainty about his future, but Nakamoto-san reveals, "I have almost never experienced a time when I felt restless like Hayate."

"When I was in elementary school, I dreamed of becoming a soccer player, and in junior high school, I wanted to be a hair stylist, so there was always something that I wanted to do. Besides, I'm the type of person who acts on things as soon as I think of them, which is the complete opposite of Hayate. When I played Ryo Suzaki in the movie HiGH&LOW THE WORST X, I could bring out emotions within myself to portray the character, but Hayate has strong feelings that he keeps hidden within himself, and there are a lot of aspects about him that I don't have in me to begin with. Since it's based on a manga and was even adapted into an anime, it was difficult to find the balance of bringing out the goodness of the original work while also bringing the extraordinary action to life."

What Nakamoto-san wants to try now is new music activities.

"I have a desire to fully pursue the music that I want to do, so I would also like to do solo music activities. In terms of style, I want to do a somewhat hard rock style. A band might be nice too. Conceptually and visually, I want to do something that breaks away from the current image. That's why the appliances that I want right now are musical equipment. Ah, but they're… not really considered appliances (laughs). After the filming for this drama ends, I want to take on this challenge seriously. I still want to continue acting as well. A heart-fluttering romantic drama also sounds fun!"

Amidst busy days, Nakamoto-san is especially particular about how he spends his mornings.

"I don't like being in a rush in the morning, so I wake up with plenty of time to spare and check my schedule for the day while I have my coffee. Mornings are the time when my mind works the best, and I like to take my time and think about what I need to do for the day. Besides, when a day starts off well, doesn't it make you feel that the whole day is going to be great? That's why I never oversleep. I can wake up properly every morning even without setting on an alarm!"

PROFILE

Yuta Nakamoto was born on October 26, 1995, in Osaka. He debuted in 2016 as a member of NCT 127. "I'm looking for a vacuum cleaner, and a hair dryer that is gentle on the hair. It would be interesting if one day, there was an appliance that could easily change hairstyles as one likes."


Dream Co-Star!

Yuta Nakamoto (NCT 127) and Takumi Kawanishi (JO1): Intersecting Life Roads

One is a member of NCT 127, and one is a member of JO1. Aiming for the same dream of being on stage, the two who have walked different paths met each other this spring on the set of a drama. A magazine collaboration that's much anticipated by fans has now been realized!

With the delightful vibe and tempo of Kansai, two people who get along well can be seen.

Have your impressions of each other changed from the first time you met before filming the drama to now as the filming has progressed?

YUTA: My first impression of Takumi-kun was that he is a very cheerful kid. I thought he had a wonderful smile and that he was the perfect person to play the role of Soma. At that time, I had the impression that it would be a lot of fun filming together. When we actually met on set, since we're both from Kansai, he would often come up with a retort to my jokes (laughs). On the other hand, while filming, I've gradually come to notice that he can be a bit shy.

TAKUMI: Before meeting Yuta-san, I thought that he was a very cool person, but when I met him, I felt that no matter who he is with, he's very approachable and is a person who's easy to talk to. Also, he likes cracking jokes (laughs). He's always cracking up funny jokes.

YUTA: Takumi-kun always has a retort to my jokes, so it's easy to play the funny man. There's good tempo that makes it easy.

TAKUMI: It's because we're both from Kansai (laughs).

YUTA: By the way, earlier, I got to see the issue of "anan" magazine with JO1 on the cover. I felt that the expression you had three years ago is completely different from the expression I saw during today's shoot. You must have just debuted at that time, right?

TAKUMI: It was during our first year.

YUTA: I was reminded of my past days too. Still somewhat naïve.

TAKUMI: I had pink hair at that time.

YUTA: Just like now.

During the photoshoot, Nakamoto-san said "I only get close to people I like.", and then stuck close to Kawanishi-san (laughs).

TAKUMI: That's because it was a photoshoot!

YUTA: But I usually stick close to Takumi-kun, right?

TAKUMI: The way it's said might be misunderstood (laughs).

Is Nakamoto-san often the one who makes conversation on set?

YUTA: I think so. It feels like it's either me or Dori-kun.

TAKUMI: The filming set is a lot of fun.

YUTA: This is my first time doing a drama, and I'm surprised by the soft atmosphere on set. Everyone is so kind and easy to talk to, and when the four of us cast members get together, it feels like the conversation naturally becomes lively. Dori-kun in particular is super funny. He makes us laugh every day, and my abs hurt from laughing every day. Also, a lot of the staff members are clumsy people.

TAKUMI: There are seriously so many clumsy people (laughs).

YUTA: For example, yesterday, when "Start!" was called and filming began, the microphone wasn't in place (laughs). But no one got angry, and everyone was just laughing. That's how light the atmosphere is. It's so light that I feel like we might start floating soon.

TAKUMI: But I'm not clumsy!

YUTA: I want to see the day when Takumi-kun does something clumsy (laughs).

Have you seen each other being clumsy on set?

YUTA: I haven't seen Takumi-kun being clumsy yet. He might be hiding it (laughs). I don't get to talk to him much on set. (Jokingly) Takumi-kun has a strong "don't talk to me aura"…

TAKUMI: Uh-oh (laughs). That's a bad impression! It's not like that! There are already people who will believe it! (laughs)

YUTA: (Laughs) But I have the impression that he's always reading the script.

TAKUMI: That's just how dedicated I am.

Has Kawanishi-san seen Nakamoto-san's clumsy side yet?

YUTA: Probably not.

TAKUMI: (Answering immediately) No, I've seen it many times! Around the first the day of filming, there was already an unusual stain on Yuta-san's script. When I asked, "What is this stain!" He said, "I don't really know." How could he not know!? (laughs).

YUTA: What's funny is that Director (Akina) Yanagi is exactly the same type as me. Take a look at the director's script. It's super dirty! (laughs).

The positive mindset of the two who accept it even if they're clumsy.

Have you made any clumsy mistakes recently?

TAKUMI: It's not exactly a clumsy thing, but I tend to forget things a lot. I've lost my earphones so many times that I switched from wireless ones to wired ones. The wireless ones fall out easily and quickly end up disappearing somewhere. Recently, I lost the key card for the hotel room I was staying at for work. But this doesn't really count as being clumsy. It's just forgetting and losing things.

YUTA: I'm also extremely forgetful (laughs). Going home while forgetting my phone on set is a daily occurrence for me. What's funny is that all four of the cast members tend to forget their phones too (laughs). Also, recently, when I was trying to take a photo using a camera, I didn't realize that I was holding it upside down, and I kept searching and was like, "Where did the shutter button go!?"

When you two do something clumsy, what type of reaction do you have?

TAKUMI: It depends on the situation, but I have really lost countless of earphones, and it can't be helped anymore, so I just give up on it right away. When I first lost my earphones, I was quite upset, but it kept happening, so I switched to the wired ones, and then I lost those too…

YUTA: How about trying headphones?

TAKUMI: I also have headphones, but sometimes I can't put them on after getting my hair and makeup done.

YUTA: I like my clumsy self. That's why even if I find myself making a clumsy mistake, I don't worry about it too much. But maybe it's because of starting this job that I've come to feel this way. With fans, members, and staff by my side who love me for the way that I am, I've come to feel that this is also one of my charms.

TAKUMI: Yuta-san truly is a gentle person. I admire him. On the contrary, I'm the type to worry a lot, but I try not to dwell too much on my failures. But in general, I very much just go at my own pace.

What to pay attention to in order to stay healthy for a long time

Taking this opportunity, is there anything you'd like to ask each other?

YUTA: Is it difficult to maintain pink hair?

TAKUMI: Very difficult.

YUTA: Yeah, I knew that (laughs).

TAKUMI: You know, right? I mean, you've done it too, right? (laughs).

YUTA: Then what's the most fun thing you've experienced recently?

TAKUMI: I went to Thailand for work recently. It was my first time in Thailand. The weather and the people were very warm, and I was moved. Everyone greeted us with a smile, and it made me feel really happy.

YUTA: Thailand is great. It's the best.

TAKUMI: Yuta-san give off the impression of being very healthy…

YUTA: Rather than saying that I exercise to maintain my health, I exercise because I value starting my mornings right. Human beings are simple, and when you accomplish even just one thing, it feels like, "I worked hard today!" Right? That is why I started exercising and paying attention to what I eat. I heard that although Japanese people have long lifespans, their healthy lifespan is short. I want to live a long and healthy life, so I'm being mindful of it now.

TAKUMI: I've learned something. I'll also pay more attention to it from now on!


INTERVIEW NOTES

NCT 127's Yuta Nakamoto graced the cover of this magazine issue. Nakamoto-san, who is steadily expanding the range of his activities in Japan, through activities such as movies and dramas, has an image of being a "person who knows no limits." From countries, people, and genres… There must be a lot of people who are attracted and receive courage from the way he strives to go beyond without setting limits in anything. In addition, we felt that it was meaningful to have Nakamoto-san, who is usually active globally, be photographed in Tokyo. We thought, "With Tokyo and its vast skies in the background, we wanted to photograph him in an atmosphere that felt as free as possible."

On the day of the interview, the weather in Tokyo was fortunately clear and pleasant, making it a perfect day for a photoshoot! Against the blue sky, Nakamoto-san adjusted his black jacket freely and changed poses one after another. Even though there was no music playing on set, he moved as though there was an incredibly cool song playing and had the entire staff captivated. We wanted to just keep taking photos like that forever (laughs). Moreover, while checking the shots on the monitor, Nakamoto-san expressed his thoughts in words like, "Ah, it's a new me" and "I feel like I've never seen myself like this before." As the people in charge, we were secretly very moved. Please check out the magazine to see Nakamoto san's natural appearance and expression which gently overflow with a mind and way of life that's free, broad, and unbound by anything. (Please also look forward to photos in denim that have a boyfriend feel, and photos in a shirt filled with cuteness.)

In addition, JO1's Takumi Kawanishi also joins in the special edition cover of the same magazine issue. A precious and splendid shot of the two in the same frame has now been realized. It looks like the two have become very comfortable with each other through the filming of Cool Doji Danshi. Throughout the photoshoot and interview, their balance of having funny banter, being playful, and being considerate of each other was great. During the photoshoot, the both of them would politely ask the staff, "Is this the right feel that you had in mind?" Taking that into consideration, they showed their professionalism and came up with poses that we hadn't even thought of. We've lost count of how many times "Thank you" and "I appreciate it..." were said… From beautiful and powerful photos that would leave you in awe to cute photos that had people on set continuously exclaiming "Cute!", please also take a look at the special edition version of the magazine that's full of the various charms of the two.

The skies of Tokyo were clear as if it were rejoicing Nakamoto-san's first solo anan magazine cover together with everyone.

[T/N: The interviews included in the regular and special edition are the same. The written captions and photos included in the two editions are what largely varies. Takumi's solo interview in the magazine is not included in this translation.]

✽ ✽ ✽


As of the time this was posted, the regular edition cover of 2023.05.31 anan No. 2349 is out of stock on online shops. Feel free to reconfirm its stock availability from the publication's official list of online retailers linked here.

However, you can still buy your copy of the special edition cover here.

The Interview Notes can be found here.

You can also watch the behind-the-scenes of the photoshoot here.

Cool Doji Danshi is now available on DVD and Blu-ray with ENGLISH SUBTITLES. Check out the product details and find available purchasing options here.

Comments