YUTA Domani Special Interview
2023.04.27 YUTA Domani Special Interview
Released on
Translated by @cloudNYT
Domani (Oggi's sister publication) brings you other cuts from Oggi and an undisclosed interview that delves into Yuta's true self!
INTERVIEW
What is your impression of Takumi Kawanishi (JO1), Maito Fujioka, and
Dori Sakurada, who are co-starring with you in the drama Cool Doji
Danshi?
YUTA: I have been watching their activities since before. When I
watched them on screen, I had the impression that all three of them were
cool, and I thought, "It might be a little hard getting close to them."
But when I actually met them, it wasn't like that at all. They're as
forgetful as I am, and all of them were very clumsy (laughs). Moreover,
our sense of humor match really well, so the atmosphere is great. The
atmosphere on set is so light that sometimes I wonder, "Is it really okay
that it's this soft?" (smiling).
I can feel the peaceful atmosphere on set just by looking at your
facial expression. Was the atmosphere here different from the movie
HiGH&LOW THE WORST X, which had many tense scenes?
YUTA: HiGH&LOW THE WORST X involved dangerous scenes such as
fistfights, and because everyone was treating it with seriousness, there
was inevitably a sense of tension. This time around, the content of the
drama is very calm and soothing.
You give off the impression of being good at communication and being
loved by everyone, but how do you get close to people you meet for the
first time?
YUTA: I think the secret to getting close to people is to be
natural and not try to act cool. If there's someone I want to get along
with, I approach them casually and talk to them like how we're talking
right now. On the set of Cool Doji Danshi, I went out to eat with everyone
on the third day of filming. But the reason we became close so quickly was
because my co-stars also showed interest in me, and we both made efforts
to get closer to each other. To be honest, I am shy and am the type of
person who prefers to be alone. That said, while I still want to cherish
my alone time, recently I've also been thinking about wanting to change.
I'm an adult now, so to a certain extent, I'm able to assess what kind of
person the other party is. I can trust myself now, so if I feel that
someone is a good person, then I would like to steadily broaden my
interactions with them.
How do you motivate yourself when you feel down or when you're not in
the mood?
YUTA: I listen to music. But one way may be "don't force yourself."
It's not really about letting my emotions dictate my attitude, but instead
I think it's okay to do things with just a reasonable level of enthusiasm
when not feeling up to it.
It seems that you sometimes say that you are a "sangnamja" (man among
men). What is your definition of manliness?
YUTA: I don't have a specific definition of "I think a sangnamja is
like this." But I think "a man who can give a word when things are tough
or when things have come to a halt" is cool. It's actually a very
difficult thing to do if you think about it. People might be intimidated
and think, "Saying this in this atmosphere is a bit…" But if even one
person can come and give a word like that, the atmosphere in that moment
will surely change. I think that people who are able to do that are very
cool.
What's the most heart-fluttering thing [from something cute, romantic,
or heartwarming] that has happened to you recently?
YUTA: (Thinks about it for a while) I haven't had any
heart-fluttering moments recently… I want to experience something
heart-fluttering! Please make my heart flutter (laughs).
What kind of child were you during your childhood?
YUTA: I
used to play outside all the time. When I was little, the world was still
so small, so I was always (playing around in the mud) with the kids in my
neighborhood until I got dirty, or playing hide-and-seek or tag in the
alleyways near our house.
What was your dream job when you were a child?
YUTA: In the
beginning, I wanted to become Ultraman. After that, it changed to becoming
a soccer player. It was during junior high school when I realized that I
wanted to be a singer. I started going to the karaoke with my friends and
then became interested in the entertainment industry.
Do you consider the person you are now to be similar to the adult that
you imagined when you were a child?
YUTA: Not at all. I'll be 28 years old this year, but when I was a
kid, people in their thirties looked so mature to me. But as the years go
by, I feel like I've become less fixated on getting older. There are
people in their teens who have a mature outlook and maintain a broad
perspective on various things, so I don't really think that age has
anything to do with it. But I think having that childish side is also part
of who I am, so in a good way, I want to stay the same.
From this point onwards, Yuta will answer the Q&A intuitively.
You have an image of being fashionable. Are you the type to plan your
outfits in advance or decide on the day itself?
YUTA: I guess I'm the type to plan in advance. Usually, I decide
what to wear after waking up in the morning like, "I'll wear this and
this." But on important days when I have to appear in public in casual
clothes, I decide in advance.
Are you the type to change bags every day or continue to use one fixed
bag?
YUTA: I occasionally change my bag when I'm in the mood, but I
think I'm basically the type to stick to the same bag. Instead, I change
up accessories like earrings and necklaces more often.
What are the essential items in your bag?
YUTA: Perfume,
toothbrush set, and vitamins!
If you were to spend time with NCT members, would you rather go for
some leisurely glamping or do an exciting sports day?
YUTA: Definitely glamping! I don't want to have a sports day
(laughs). I want everyone to go on a relaxing break.
If you were to take the NCT 127 members on a trip to Japan, would you
choose to go to Kyoto or Sapporo?
YUTA: Maybe Kyoto. If we were to go to Arashiyama in spring, there
would be a lot of cherry blossoms in bloom, traditional Japanese inns, and
I could take them to places that have a lot of Japanese history. I really
love Kyoto, so I would like to introduce it to the members.
What is your favorite season? Spring, Summer, Fall, or Winter?
YUTA: Spring. I really like the cherry blossom season the most. I
thinking spring is the season when the scenery of my favorite Arashiyama
looks the most beautiful.
Do you prefer showers or baths?
YUTA: I prefer baths. I
really want to soak in the bathtub as much as possible. But there isn't
really a bathtub-soaking culture in other countries, so whenever I return
to Japan and have time, I make sure to take a soak in the bathtub. By the
way, I soaked in the bathtub yesterday too! (smiling).
Is there anything that you always end up buying at the convenience
store?
YUTA: (with eyes sparkling) There are so many! I have a fixed
lineup: mitarashi dango, Meiji probiotic yogurt R-1 low-sugar /
low-calorie drink, negitoro roll, pork miso soup, and coffee. These are
the five items I definitely buy.
What is the home screen on your phone set to?
YUTA: A photo
of the sky sent to me by my younger sister. The clouds form a heart shape.
It's cute and healing. Isn't it kind of endearing?
Are there any emojis or stickers that you use often?
YUTA:
Recently, I really like Anya from SPY×FAMILY, and I use her stickers a
lot.
What hairstyle would you like to try in the future?
YUTA: I
would like to try a very short hairstyle. But if I were to go for a very
short hairstyle, I'd like to grow a beard. So, not right now, but I hope I
can give it a try when I reach my mid-30s.
What dish made by your mom is your favorite?
YUTA: It's very
difficult to say without explaining it, but in the Nakamoto household,
there is a dish called "the one taught by Daiki's mom." I'm from Kadoma
City in Osaka, and all the neighbors know each other and often share with
each other. And there's this stir-fried dish that Daiki's mom taught to my
mom that was delicious! It's mainly made of meat, chives, bean sprouts,
and you eat it with ponzu sauce and shichimi. When I ask my mom, "What are
we having today?", it makes me happy when she answers, "The one taught by
Daiki's mom."
By the way, do you know how to make the dish?
YUTA: Well,
anyone can make it (laughs). The name of the dish is long, but it's really
delicious.
When getting complimented, what makes you happy: "You're cool" or
"You're kind"?
YUTA: (with a big smile) Being called cool and kind! I want to be
told both. By the way, the compliment that makes me the happiest is "You
are very talented!".
If you were to give yourself a reward for working hard every day, what
would it be?
YUTA: I don't need a reward (resolutely). Maybe I'll think about it
when I feel that I have made it through 2023. But I don't need one right
now.
INTERVIEW NOTES
The outfit prepared this time is a classic double-breasted suit. When Yuta changed into the outfit and entered the studio saying, "I'm looking forward to working with you.", the staff exclaimed in admiration and said, "Oh!", "He looks amazing!" and "He looks like an excellent businessman." Yuta himself seemed to be pleased with it and said with a smile, "I feel like the No.2 person in a big corporation." He also said, "I heard that I was going to wear a suit before coming to set, so I thought it would be good to style my hair all slicked back, but the hairstyle that you did for me is the perfect choice!"
In connection to the drama Cool Doji Danshi in which Yuta stars in, we also shot some 'slightly clumsy' scenes for the Oggi photoshoot. When we explained that it was a scene where a bunch of documents are dropped on the floor, Yuta said happily, "There it is! How clumsy! (laughs)."
In the scene where he is on the phone, he pretended to speak to an imaginary person and said, "What? Today's shoot is wrapping up? 30 minutes early?! Thank you so much!" (Maybe it's a message to the Oggi & Domani editorial department… LOL) and the set burst into laughter.
During the interview, when he talked about his appearance in the movie HiGH&LOW THE WORST X, he imitated a small punch while saying, "There was a fistfight scene…"
Also, when he was asked about his phone's home screen, he actually took out his phone and showed us the screen, asking, "Isn't the heart cute?" with a proud and very gentle smile – showing the closeness between the two siblings.
In the interview, Yuta said, "I haven't had any heart-fluttering moments lately. I want to experience something heart-fluttering!" At the end of the interview, we said to him, "We have prepared a yakiniku bento. Please enjoy it if you like." After handing it over to him, he then said, "(with his hand on his chest) My heart fluttered…!" and the takoyaki prince received it with a hearty laugh. The staff at the shoot were all captivated by him. It was an interview that allowed us to see Yuta's polite, humble, and very charming demeanor and made us realize why he is so loved around the world.
✽ ✽ ✽
Please support YUTA by engaging with the original link to this interview here.
You can also watch the behind-the-scenes of the photoshoot here.
Cool Doji Danshi is now available on DVD and Blu-ray with ENGLISH SUBTITLES. Check out the product details and find available purchasing options here.

Comments
Post a Comment