YUTA on NCTzen 127-JAPAN OFFICIAL BOOK Vol. 8

YUTA on NCT 127 OFFICIAL BOOK Vol. 8
Released on
Translated by @cloudNYT

scan credit: @szax__

SPECIAL PHOTO REPORT

YUTA

Sharing photos of memories in Japan exclusively to NCTzen 127-JAPAN! Also includes some clumsy anecdotes (laughs)

  1. Okonomiyaki eaten in Tokyo. A taste that rivals the ones from Osaka!
  2. Bought a book at the Harry Potter store thinking it was a novel, but it actually turned out to be a replica of the script (laughs).
  3. My beloved dog, Rapu-chan, at my parents' house. Every time I take a photo of Rapu-chan, my mom checks it. She said this photo was "Cute!" and gave it an OK (laughs).

DRAMA

Cool Doji Danshi
Air dates: 2023.04.14 – 2023.06.30
Every Friday from 24:52

Actor Yuta Nakamoto takes on his first role in a drama!

He appears in a heartwarming comedy drama that depicts the daily lives of beloved guys who are cool but slightly clumsy. From the very first day of meeting, the drama staff praised Yuta and said, "He brightened up the tense atmosphere!" He hit it off with his co-stars completely, and the set was bright and filled with nonstop laughter until the very end.

SPECIAL INTERVIEW

Special interview about the drama Cool Doji Danshi starring Yuta

In the midst of filming the drama in late March, an interview was conducted with Yuta. He talked extensively about his process of preparing for the role, the atmosphere on set, and what he learned on set while filming the drama.

First of all, what kind of impression did you have of Hayate?
YUTA: Hayate and I are completely different in terms of clothing styles and atmosphere, so it felt very fresh. I myself like flashy fashion and items so it felt kind of strange…… I don't think there's someone like him around me, but I felt that he was a very cute, pure, and sincere person. I tried various things while thinking about details like "How does Hayate usually act?" and "How does he usually carry himself?" And it took me a lot of time adapting those characteristics to myself.

What is the one thing you have in common with Hayate?
YUTA: Well, it's probably the clumsiness, isn't it? Like forgetting my wallet and such. When my family heard the title "Cool Doji Danshi", they said "It's so Yuta!" and "You're perfect for the role!" People call me a "real Lover Boy" (laughs). Even when I'm clumsy, the people around me warmly watch over me, so this might be what I have in common with Hayate.

What did you do to prepare for the role after your appearance in the drama was decided?
YUTA: I first watched the anime, and then studied by reading the original manga. I also watched cute videos so that I could express the "heart fluttering appeal hidden beneath the clumsiness", which you could say is the highlight of this drama. Also, I think there's definitely a part of me that is cute (laughs), so I try to recall the expressions and vibe I had when Czennies would tell me, "Your smile is lovely." And in the scenes with Mima-san, whom Hayate admires, I try to act as if I were smiling at a senior that I actually admire.

How was it actually acting?
YUTA: I had a lot of concerns about how closely I should stick to the original work, and that also includes the visual aspect of it. Fans of the original work are also watching, but because it is humans that are playing the characters, there are things that aren't possible in real life…… If we go this far [in terms of sticking to the original work], some viewers might think it's "too much". But opinions also vary from person to person. To be honest, I still don't know what the right answer is and where I should be drawing the line. This is my first time doing a live-action adaptation, and I really found it challenging.

Did the director have any requests for you in terms of acting?
YUTA: Rather than having requests, it feels more like we're filming together while looking for the right way to approach it. It was my first time learning that dramas have multiple directors. I have a lot of monologues in this drama (like talking about one's feelings alone), and I suddenly found myself wondering, "Isn't that part of Hayate's character too different from one episode to another?" So I asked the director for some time to discuss it, saying, "I think these are the differences that exist, but what do you think?" Everyone was understanding, and we were able to discuss smoothly. I'm glad that we were able to communicate well.

What is the biggest difference between being an artist and being an actor?
YUTA: Acting is about being "someone else". That is the biggest difference. I deeply felt the difficulty of making that switch and having to learn how to abandon who I am to a certain extent. As an artist, I have strong feelings of "I want to show myself, and I want to be seen in this way.", where I think the right answer is to be myself. Even in music activities, you can have control and come up with ideas to make yourself look cool. For example, you can try showing your face from an angle that you think is good or make a request in the direction like, "Please do it this way." But when acting as an actor, the camera angles are fixed, and you have to fully embody the character. Dealing with the confusion and difficulties regarding that, as well as my own desires of "I want to do it this way" …… Honestly, I experienced a great deal of inner conflict like that. That is why my respect for actors who can seamlessly switch into their roles has gone up even more.

What have you learned on set while filming this drama?
YUTA: Everything! At first, I didn't know much about the process of producing a drama, and there were things on my mind that I was unable to say. But I gradually began to grasp the process and learned when it was better to express my own opinion, when it was better to leave it to others, or how I should do it in a different way next time…… I'm learning things every day. It feels refreshing!

What is the atmosphere like on set?
YUTA: I'm getting along well with the cast, and I feel very comfortable on set. Both Takumi Kawanishi and Dori Sakurada also do music, so we talk about that, but we mostly just talk about pointless things (laughs). A lot of the staff are also a bit clumsy. For example, when "Start!" was yelled out on set, the microphone wasn't even ready. But it's a fun environment where even in those moments, everyone just laughs it off and go like, "Heeeey!"

Do you feel lonely without the members?
YUTA: It felt lonely at first. We're always together, so it felt "cold" when the seat next to me was suddenly empty (laughs). But seeing how everyone is working hard individually right now encourages me. I think the members see my efforts as well, and I like that we have that kind of relationship.

By the way, who is the most "cool but clumsy" member in NCT 127.
YUTA: In terms of forgetting things, I'd say it's Taeyong. He has lost quite a few wireless earphones. Well, I've lost about 5 or 6 pairs myself (laughs). And the solution to this is to…… maybe sew them onto clothes? I'd like to know how to stop losing them!

Finally, please give a message to all NCTzen-127 JAPAN.
YUTA: I think it is thanks to everyone's support that I'm able to appear in this drama, and I hope that showing my performance as an actor can be a way to repay you for the support you've given me. I hope you have a healing time while watching the drama. I would like to continue doing more activities in Japan in the future, so I would be happy if you could continue supporting me!

MAGAZINE

GQ JAPAN
2023 June Issue
Showcasing the latest looks with various expressions and poses
Shot with the theme of "YUTA ´ LOUIS VUITTON, The Latest Looks Woven by Light and Shadow". Yuta, who was dressed in a variety of outfits, impressively brought out poses that complemented each outfit.

CUT
2023 April Issue
Getting up close with Actor Yuta Nakamoto in a special feature spanning 22 pages
Yuta makes his first appearance in CUT. A large volume of over 20 pages, including the cover and the photo portraits taken, was delivered. In a long interview where he spoke passionately as actor Yuta Nakamoto, his powerful gaze and decisive answers left a lasting impression.

MEN'S NON-NO
SHOW YOUR VIBE!!!!! Monthly Column
2022 May – 2023 March
Yuta and Shotaro's monthly column has reached its end
The last photoshoot for the series took place on the day of Yuta's birthday. The styling with the cute coats in the final column left an impression. In the dressing room, the two were seen in front of the clothes that were line up having a friendly discussion, asking, "Which one do you want to wear?" and "Which coat looks better?" During the photoshoot, you could see the steady combination of the older brother Yuta watching over the mischievous younger brother Shotaro.

Anan
2023 Issue No. 2349
A harmonious atmosphere reminiscent of the drama filming set
Appeared together with Cool Doji Danshi co-star JO1 Takumi Kawanishi. The two of them perfectly deliver when asked to make a "cool expression", but in between shoots, they were always just smiling. They would joke around each other and make each other laugh, sharing behind-the-scenes stories from filming the drama. It was a scene that reminded you of the bright atmosphere of the drama set.

SHOOTING

Louis Vuitton
Spring of 2023
Going out in Tokyo wearing the latest items!
Taking a stroll somewhere around Tokyo while wearing the latest items from Louis Vuitton. The camera followed Yuta as he went to relax at a café and took a walk in the park.

TV

Yagi to Daigo First Episode Special
Air date: 2023.04.07
Filled with excitement to be appearing with Chidori's Daigo!
Yuta, who's set to appear with Daigo from his favorite comedy duo Chidori, was excited even before filming started. As soon as he met Daigo, he said, "I love you!" (laughs). Yuta was completely healed by the warm time that passed so leisurely and slowly that it didn't feel like they were recording a program.

Ariyoshi no Sekai Douji Chuukei ~ What's going on over there right now? ~ SP
Air date: 2023.04.13
Somehow feeling a sense of nostalgia seeing scenes from the Showa era
Yuta was really looking forward to the recording. He was already excited while looking through the program materials in the dressing room. He was impressed by the footages of scenic spots around the world! Even in the dressing room, he muttered, "The world is so big." (laughs). Also, it seems that the impactful scenes from the Showa era left an impression, and there was excitement with the surrounding staff after the recording ended.

RADIO

NCT 127 YUTA's YUTA at Home
Airing on InterFM Every Thursday 21:00 – 21:30
Radio recording during his long stay in Japan!
YUTA at Home is usually recorded remotely from Korea, but during his long stay for the filming of the drama, the radio was recorded in Japan. He was happily recording while chatting with all the radio staff he hasn't met in person in a long time.


EXCLUSIVE COVERAGE OF RECENT NEWS FROM THE MEMBERS!

What has shocked you recently?
YUTA: I absolutely think that the food at Japanese convenience stores is delicious. That is why I've gotten food delivery in Japan. I was once again surprised by the variety and quality of the food. My favorites are the fluffy custard-filled fish-shaped cakes, probiotic drinks, pork miso soup, and oden. Everything is delicious. Also, I realized once again how delicious mitarashi dango is. I eat them together with two managers, and the three of us formed the "Three Dango Brothers" pact (laughs).

[T/N: referencing the popular children's song of the same name 'Dango San Kyodai' / 'Three Dango Brothers' where three rice dumplings on the skewer of the dango are brothers]

What have you found interesting?
YUTA: When I drink the nutritional drink at night to recover from fatigue, I have a hard time falling asleep. I thought I would wake up recovering from fatigue after sleeping, but I became too energetic before bed to even sleep (laughs).

Do you have any small regrets?
YUTA: I should have started drinking green juice earlier. I've been feeling great since I started drinking it.

What has made you feel happy?
YUTA: Being able to stay in Japan for an extended period of time because of filming the drama. I'm able to meet my family and friends in Japan, and I can also go to convenience stores. It has become easier to come and go from Korea to Japan, so I can relax.

Please tell us some recent news about the members!
YUTA: Haechan bought a camera, and it's quite good. Everyone has opened their own social media accounts, and cameras have become popular among the members. I'm also thinking of buying one. Also, Mark's hair is damaged and kind of breaking off (laughs). Actually, my hair has also broken off in some places. The breakage in my hair went up when I dyed my hair white.

✽ ✽ ✽


Cool Doji Danshi is now available on DVD and Blu-ray with ENGLISH SUBTITLES. Check out the product details and find available purchasing options here.

Comments