YUTA 1st Solo Photobook "Now" Interview
YUTA 1st Solo Photobook "Now" Interview
Released on
Translated by @cloudNYT
PHOTOBOOK
How was it shooting your first solo photobook?
YUTA: The shoot was
about a month and a half ago… I already feel nostalgic about it. Not too long
ago, I was traveling back and forth between Japan and Korea, and I also went
to countries like France, the US, and China for work. Because the schedule was
so packed, it felt like time flew by really fast. I think 2024 will pass by
just as fast. Because it was my first time shooting my own photobook, I simply
felt very happy. I really like the photos on pages 146-147 where I'm screaming
(laughs). Since it's a solo project, there were a lot of things I wanted to
try, and it was fun seeing those ideas come to life.
This photobook captures who I am now. Being able to shoot it in the streets of Seoul, my second home that raised me, felt incredibly meaningful.
What kind of photobook did you want to create? Did you have a specific
image in mind?
YUTA: The images I envisioned capture two sides of me: my unembellished
natural self and my sexy rockstar masculine self. I wanted to show both the
YUTA of NCT that fans already knew and the Yuta Nakamoto I envision for myself
as a solo artist.
What do you feel when standing in front of the camera?
YUTA: When
doing a shoot, I usually adjust my state of mind while having my outfits
selected and hair and makeup done. I think about which emotion, from joy,
anger, sorrow, or pleasure, I should use to express my feelings. Only after
I've finished deciding on it do I stand in front of the camera. I can't start
shooting without doing this [mental preparation], so for me, the time spent on
getting makeup done is very important. Everyone has their own way of spending
their time in makeup. There are some who sleep, and there are others who look
at their phones, but I always focus on myself while looking in the mirror.
I am very particular about my hair and makeup. The makeup artist might have been close to tears over it. I always feel like saying, "I'm really sorry", but I want to work feeling confident in a way that reflects the style I like. It's not that I dislike it, but I feel uneasy about the idea of being on stage or in front of the camera when I don't feel like myself.
When I first debuted, I couldn't really speak my mind freely, but after getting my makeup done, I would secretly tweak my hair to style it the way I like, the way I am used to (laughs).
Does that mean there are times when all the other members have already
finished their makeup and have to wait for you to finish?
YUTA: That has happened (laughs). During the filming of the music video
for "Walk", there was a solo shot of me standing on top of a gas station. I
was originally supposed to have a different hairstyle, but I thought styling
my bangs up would be more in line with my style, so I asked the members to
wait for me while I had it changed. Since NCT 127 is a group that values
individual expression, everyone is very particular about their solo shots, so
I think the members are respectful of each other when it comes to managing the
time.
SEOUL
About the filming location being in the city of Seoul
YUTA: Seoul
is the city that shaped the values of the person I am today. I came to Korea
as a trainee when I was 17, and these past 10 years or so have been so
profound that my memories of my time in Japan are dwindling. At this point, my
inner sense is probably about 70% Korea and 30% Japan.
Both people and cities have energy. The streets here change very quickly, and I feel it whenever I see stores changing every two months. Through this shoot, I discovered a lot of new places, like Noeul Park. I was amazed that such places existed, and I felt like I was rediscovering Seoul. Even though I've lived in Seoul for a long time, I mostly stay indoors and don't go out much, so I'm not very familiar with the city. For this shoot, I visited places like Itaewon and Dongdaemun. Of course, I've been there before. It isn't so much that I feel anxious, but I always find it hard to completely relax when I go there.
Every now and then, my Japanese friends would contact me, saying, "I'm visiting Seoul this time. Can you recommend any good spots?" And I would break out in cold sweat, scramble to ask my manager, then confidently reply back to them… (laughs).
Going off-topic a bit, I often say in interviews that I want to be a cool guy. I think a man who can immediately recommend a nice restaurant or place is brilliant. I have an ideal image that I aspire to be. Oh, and I want to be a man who looks good with a beard. A stylish and dandy man (laughs). I haven't grown a beard yet, so I'll definitely be stubborn about not shaving it in the future (laughs).
So at 28, what kind of ideal image does a man aiming to be dandy have…
(laughs).
YUTA: Well… Ultimately, it's… a guy who's popular with women (laughs)!
That being said, when I look at actors from Showa and Heisei eras, I think
they're really cool. They have a lot of charm, are very manly, and have a
strong inner core… Here I am living in the Reiwa era, watching old movies from
that time while dreaming, "I want to be like that too." (laughs).
NOW
What is the idea behind the title "Now"?
YUTA: A few years ago,
when the pandemic enveloped the world in darkness, and there was no way to
carry out activities as originally planned, I always found myself
unconsciously thinking, "If only this pandemic didn't exist, then…" Not just
as NCT, but also as YUTA, thoughts of "I want to do this. I want to do that"
kept popping into my mind one after another. There were so many things I
wanted to do, including activities in Japan. I've spent the past few years
living with the frustration of not being able to accomplish what I wanted.
With the pandemic gradually slowing down, it became possible to cross borders for work again, and now, in 2024, I finally have news about my solo tour and photobook. It feels like, "It's finally here! "… But if this had happened to the less mature version of me a few years ago, my singing style during performances and my expressions in the photobook wouldn't have been the way they are now, and I wouldn't have had it in me to confidently express my opinions during discussions with the staff.
Over the past few years, I have been steadily making a lot of preparations in my own way. By presenting a more evolved style of expression than I had before, I know that I can achieve a higher level of completion. Thinking about it this way, now truly seems to be the right time. I am certain that the "now" in my life came when it was supposed to come.
Even though I'm pretty inclined towards matters of the mind, I can confidently say that I have not felt pessimistic during the time since the pandemic, and it is closely tied to my "now".
Thoughts during the pandemic
YUTA: It was a very difficult period.
We didn't know when it would end. But on the other hand, that period made me
deeply understand the importance of certain things, especially the things
symbolized by fans.
I never had thoughts of "This is the end" or "I want to go back to Japan." Instead, I wanted to do whatever I could with all the members here. But I would still constantly think, "If only this pandemic didn't exist, then…" (laughs).
As a group, we released "Kick It". It was right at that time when we were thinking about taking things to the next level, but our timing was truly unfortunate. Every time we reached an important moment, we were hindered by external factors beyond our control. So during the pandemic, I found myself thinking, "Here we go again."
That's why I chose "Now" as the title for this photobook. It carries the meaning and sense of hope of "from now on".
DREAM
Even though there were no definite guarantees about the future, why did you
come to Korea with nothing but a dream?
YUTA: I remember the first time I came to Seoul very clearly. It was
glittering and full of hope. I still remember the sunny weather and the vast
blue skies. Also, there were so many taxis (laughs).
"You couldn't understand the language, couldn't dance, couldn't sing. You couldn't really do anything, so why did you come to Korea starting as a trainee when there wasn't any sort of guarantee?" This question really hit me. But was it really such an incredible decision…?
If I put my mindset at that time into words, I simply thought, "I want to go, so I'll go." (laughs). My way of thinking was always in absolutes, with everything in black and white. I don't like leaving things halfway done. I know that taking the middle ground might feel more secure, but it just wouldn't feel right for me. To go or not to go, to do it or not to do it – I was always very decisive.
In fact, I didn't even tell my parents about auditioning for SM Entertainment. I only told them I passed the audition and was leaving for Korea about a week before I was set to go. I went to Seoul for a month to join training camps and take lessons as a trainee. I did go back to Japan temporarily afterwards, but since I passed the program and became a full-fledged trainee, I quickly had to return to Korea.
It was a selfish decision, but I'm very grateful to my parents for allowing me to go. It was the first time I saw my dad cry, and his words "don't come back" have always been a source of strength for me. I said my goodbyes to my dad in Japan, while my mom accompanied me to Seoul to sign the contract with the company. The look on my mom's face as we said goodbye is something I would never be able to describe in words… I'll never forget it. After signing the contract, she saw me off to the dorm. My mom's face was smiling, but she was also crying. Ah, I had caused my mom to look like that. I promised myself that I'd do my best to repay my parents someday.
Memories from his days as a trainee
YUTA: I took lessons with
trainees from various countries like the US, Canada, Kazakhstan, and
Indonesia. We communicated in short phrases of Korean and English. But some
people went back home to their countries right away, and I felt that the
trainee turnover was quite high.
Every month or every two weeks, there was an evaluation where you had to stand in front of examiners and take a test on dancing or singing. If you didn't pass this, then you couldn't debut. There was also competition among the trainees. There was a time when I was consistently not doing well and got stress-induced pneumonia. I had pulmonary edema, and to this day, I have never experienced worse pain than that. Even just turning my body a little felt unbelievably excruciating. But the hardest part of that time was not being able to show the results of my practice. It was so painful when the results of my tests weren't good. I felt so frustrated that there were several times when I cried in my room.
It was somewhat of an unusual environment, but it was admittedly a necessary time for me. The things I have learned cannot be summed up in a single sentence. Sleeping in the dorms with people from so many countries and going to the practice room to train the next day are irreplaceable times. But I would never want to go back to that time again (laughs).
After going to Korea, has anyone ever said something that left a lasting
impression on you?
YUTA: Meeting Rino Nakasone was a huge turning point. You could say
that she made me realize my own worth and gave me the support I needed to keep
going in the world of K-POP.
In the world of K-POP, it's very important as a team to increase the overall level of perfection. A simple example would be having precise synchronization in group dances. But apart from these technical aspects, I also value other aspects, such as those that evoke emotions, those that cannot be seen but can move people's hearts… There are performances that aren't exactly perfectly executed but somehow still manage to have everyone overcome with emotion and make people want to cheer them on. You could say it's called having character. But because the execution isn't up to par, or because it looks somewhat imperfect, it wouldn't be something accepted in K-POP. This was something I was conflicted with. Aren't passionate performances that touch people's hearts despite being imperfect also good? In order to succeed in the world of K-POP, does one have to stick to the answers that have been determined in advance, walk on the path that's already been laid out, and erase parts of oneself along the way? I felt somewhat frustrated.
It was around this time that I met Rino, and she said to me, "Each of you has your own unique color. Every single one of you is a superhero." These words immediately opened my eyes. Maybe I wasn't wrong after all! Since then, I let go of the version of myself that listened to hip hop just to fit a certain cool image and allowed myself to embrace my true love for rock. So that I can contribute to the team as a member of NCT 127 and also express myself as a solo artist, I want to cherish this sentiment.
NCT 127
Debuting as a member of NCT 127
YUTA: One day, when I was still a
trainee, I was called into a large room. With complicated diagrams drawn on
the whiteboard, we were told about the concept of NCT. They said, "You'll all
be debuting as members of NCT." Even though I finally got my ticket to debut,
I couldn't help but mutter, "That's a lot of people…" After all, the senior
groups that I'd seen had only five or seven members, and then all of a sudden,
we were told that the group would expand infinitely and perform with rotating
sub-units. I didn't get it at all. But that's how we debuted as NCT.
It's been eight years since then… To be honest, I'm amazed we've come this far. There have been good and bad times, but we even made it to Tokyo Dome. I can really feel that we're achieving our goals one by one. Now, as we celebrate our 8th anniversary as a group, I'm very grateful to everyone who has been a part of this journey, especially our fans. And of course, I'm very grateful to the members as well.
I don't talk much in the group. I'm not the best at giving advice or opinions to others, and I only do so once in a while. The roles and positions of each member fit together perfectly like puzzle pieces, and we are able to understand each other without having to say much.
Actually, as a member of the group myself, I also think that NCT is a very complex system. I think the reason why it has been able endure and continue until now is because the members trust and love each other… We are like friends and family with a very strong bond.
SOLO
As a solo artist from now on
YUTA: My solo tour has been scheduled
for the fall of 2024, but I started working on writing songs and making other
preparations much earlier than that. I shared the songs I've written with the
staff, and they said, "It's surprisingly good!" To varying extents, each
member tries to find some time to work on their own creative pursuits, and we
occasionally listen to each other's works, sharing brief comments like "Yuta
really likes this kind of music, huh?"
I think going solo should come from a personal initiative. Of course, the company has a set direction, but if you don't have something you want to convey, then it's impossible to accomplish. Taeyong and Doyoung made their solo debut first, right? I believe they were able to do so because they had ideas that they strongly wanted to convey or express. As for my solo debut, personally, I think it was during the pandemic that thoughts like "If only I could do this…" began to grow and gradually take shape.
To be able to play my own music in the country I was born in brings me so much joy. I have given it my all, but since it's my first solo activity as a musical artist, there's still a lot of things that I need to absorb and learn. I'm sure there will be challenges or times when things won't go smoothly, but I'll face them with all I've got, without trying to put on a cool front. If I'm able to expose my limitations and failures, then it would be a good opportunity for growth. I want this to be a meaningful experience where I can obtain significant growth. I don't want to just do it once and end here.
Do you feel any unease singing as an individual rather than as part of a
group?
YUTA: Of course I do. But my goal isn't to be a singer with the most
advanced level of vocal skill. As I mentioned earlier, the challenge for me is
how I can express my originality and personality. On top of that, I want to
see to what extent I can physically and emotionally engage the audience.
Thanks to everyone, we've been able to perform in different parts of the world. The way an audience enjoys a performance varies depending on the place and the country, but if you do a good job at performing, the fans will naturally become excited. For this tour, I hope I can also experience that sense of connection with everyone.
If you were to come up with a catchphrase for this solo, what would it
be?
YUTA: How I want to express myself as a solo artist, and what kind of
solo artist I want to become… I already have a clear picture of it in my mind.
Now it's just a matter of seeing whether or not I can make it happen (laughs).
I'm the type that tends to miss the mark when I try too hard, so I want to
focus on keeping things natural and speaking in my own words, without rushing
things too much.
As for a catchphrase… I think I'll go with "INSIDE OF ME". I want to break away from my "good boy" image a little. Also, for the fans, it's okay to show a bit of your rebellious side here. I want to awaken the monster inside everyone.
YUTA NAKAMOTO
Do you like yourself?
YUTA: I do (answers immediately). I like
myself a lot. I like everything about me (laughs). Although there are things
that I dislike about myself, I have a high sense of self-esteem. I'm not sure
where it comes from, but I've always had confidence. When I first auditioned,
I had a feeling that I would pass. And when I was a trainee, I had a feeling
that I would definitely debut. It's hard to explain… but I've trusted that gut
feeling ever since I was young.
Looking back, I didn't like blending in with everyone. For example, with the color of school bags, most people picked black or red, but mine was a super unusual green (laughs). I remember disliking having the same color as everyone else, so I chose that color myself.
Expectations for his future self
YUTA: I'm not really the type to
think much about the future. Maybe it's because I tend to only look at what's
right in front me or what's near me. I expect myself to do the best I can with
what's in front of me and then take the next step forward. I'm almost 30 now.
It would be a lie to say I've never thought about the future, but I'm not
going to make any major changes just because I'm turning 30. Actually, my dad
got married at 28, so I'm more conscious about turning 28 than 30. But when I
actually turned 28, I realized that nothing really changed. I'm still the same
me.
As for what I want for myself now… I hope I can experience a feeling of pure euphoria on stage. I've never experienced that feeling before. When performing as NCT 127, there's a duty that I have to fulfill as a member of the team. Whether it's the formation positions, the body movements, the choreography, or the other members' conditions… I have to be aware of these things every second of every minute, so it's hard to stay completely at ease. That is how we go through a performance.
As a professional, I know it's important to keep your excitement from boiling over and to not totally lose control, but I want to see what's it like to just go completely stupid with it.
There's a part of me that is still asleep. I know there exists a version of me that defies the ordinary. From now on, I want to meet that version of myself. I carry that sort of hope. I hold onto my wish with hope that everyone will get to see that version of me someday.
… Even though I'm talking about it so passionately, I think it's fun to not really know what I'll be doing or what I'll become in the future. Maybe I'll be grilling burgers in the US when I'm around 40. People would joke like, "Hey, what happened to the Yuta we saw in the photobook?" (laughs). But that's also life, and I want to enjoy every bit of it.
✽ ✽ ✽
You can still buy your copy of the photobook here.
Listen to YUTA's 1st Mini Album "Depth" here: Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | YouTube Music
Purchase YUTA's 1st Mini Album "Depth" here.

Comments
Post a Comment