YUTA on GOETHE – 2024 December Issue

YUTA on GOETHE – 2024 December Issue
Released on
Text by Aya Shigenobu
Translated by @cloudNYT

Unreleased Cuts from his 1st Solo Photobook "Now" Revealed

A bridge between Japan and Korea, Yuta Nakamoto's determination

Active as a member of NCT 127, Yuta Nakamoto made his long-awaited solo debut this fall. Twelve years ago, he moved to Korea to become a trainee, and now he has become a top artist connecting Japan, Korea, and the world. Along with unreleased cuts from his photobook that was shot entirely in Korea, he talked about his current self and the charm of Korea.

"I feel KPOP's level of perfection rising every day."

Yuta Nakamoto, the first Japanese trainee to pass SM Entertainment's Global Audition in 2012, moved to Korea at the age of 16.

YUTA: When I look back on my time since coming to Korea, the first thing that comes to my mind is my mother's face when we said goodbye. And also, the meter on the taxi I first took (laughs). Unlike today, prices were cheaper back then, and I was surprised that the base fare was around 240 yen.
What was different from Japan was that meals came with lots of side dishes, and everyone always ate together. When I was a trainee, everyone would worry about me whenever I was alone. Although there were times when I wanted to be alone, it gave me a lot of comfort knowing that there were people watching over me. You'll get scolded if you don't reply to messages immediately, and you have to toast together not just for the first glass but also for all the succeeding rounds of drinks. I realized how important 'doing things together' really is here.

Everyone's passion can all be felt in the workplace as well.

YUTA: In creating works, I feel that valuing the atmosphere on site is more important than strictly following the plan. As a result, something with incredibly explosive power is often produced, and it feels like the hard work pays off, or that we're able to deliver something satisfactory. The reason for all this energy? Physically, eating kimchi and spicy food a lot could be a factor (laughs). Korean kimchi is really sour. I couldn't get used to it at first, but I started to gradually find the sourness delicious, and now it gives me the same comforting feeling that I get from eating miso soup or natto in Japan. As I get older, I'm starting to appreciate the greatness of kimchi even more. By the way, it tastes 500 times better when grilled, so please give it a try!

One of the charms of Korea is that trends change quickly, and you can always discover something new. But Yuta says, "I want people to know the beauty of quiet places too."

YUTA: I really love Anguk-dong. There are buildings in the place with a sense of nature and history. I don't know why, but it's calming and feels healing to be there. Sometimes, I feel like it calls to me (laughs). Also, I went to Dongdaemun for the first time in 6-7 years to shoot the photobook, and I was happy to see that some places haven't changed. When I visited Jamsil Bridge, where we all used to ride our bikes together as trainees, I couldn't help but smile. There are so many wonderful areas, so I hope everyone can go explore different places.

K-POP has now become a major form of content, drawing passionate attention not only from Japan but also from all over the world. As someone positioned at the center of the entertainment industry, how does he view the current situation?

YUTA: It's something to be very proud of, and it reminds me once again of the incredible power of entertainment. To be honest, I never thought we'd get to perform concerts in so many different countries around the world. There are people who say that we, NCT 127, are very talented, but that's not entirely the case. There are so many artists who are much more skilled. I can feel firsthand how KPOP's level of perfection keeps rising every day.

As numerous artists strive hard and push each other to improve, he has taken a new and courageous step forward by making his solo debut.

YUTA: I feel determined to make it happen, but at the same time, I also know I will definitely hit some obstacles. It's different from when I'm with other group members. Of course, there are still staff members, but I have to come up with ideas and put them together on my own. I believe my sense of responsibility and my ability to handle feedback on my work will grow even stronger. I find it both exciting and scary to see how I'll deal with the difficulties I will face and how I'll move forward to what comes next.

As he thought about what he wanted to express in his solo work, he naturally spent more time reflecting on himself.

YUTA: I think about it every second of every day. That's why I've started reading recently to divert my focus away from myself a little. But what I've realized is that I haven't really changed throughout the years. As I grow older and gain more experience, I have gotten better at handling things and presenting myself, but I probably have no choice but to live with the fears I was born with for the rest of my life. Hiding the awkward parts of myself is exhausting, so I want to lay them all bare from now on. I don't really like things that are too perfect either. The title of my showcase tour is "HOPE", and it reflects my wish that "I hope everyone will love me as I am." As for my fans, I am grateful to them for always supporting me and waiting for me. Supporting one individual takes effort, doesn't it? I'll keep pursuing what I want to do and do my best to give back to everyone, but I hope everyone will keep believing in me and follow me.

PROFILE

Yuta Nakamoto

Born in Osaka Prefecture in 1995. The only Japanese member of the multinational boy group NCT 127, which is based in Korea and is active globally. Passed the SM Global Audition in 2012 and moved to Korea alone to become a trainee. After that, he debuted in Korea in 2016 as YUTA, a member of NCT 127, and debuted in Japan in 2018 with the song 'Chain'. In 2024, his group successfully completed their world tour, NCT 127 3rd TOUR 'NEO CITY – THE UNITY', consisting of 19 shows in 8 cities worldwide (their second dome tour in Japan drew 260,000 people). His Instagram followers have surpassed 8.969 million (as of September 24, 2024), making him the number one most followed Japanese male celebrity.

LET'S GO TO KOREA!
Myeongdong: Recharge your heart's energy in the number one shopping district in Seoul

Itaewon: A place rich in international diversity where culture and tradition intersect

Dongdaemun: A 24-hour "district that never sleeps" filled with all kinds of excitement

Han River: The river flowing through the center of Seoul is an oasis within the heart of the city

Yuta Nakamoto (NCT 127) 1st Photobook "Now"
By Yuta Nakamoto
Gentosha ¥3,300

The photos were taken in various locations, including the streets of Korea, indoor and outdoor studios, cafes, hotel rooms, and other places. This is a book that truly captures the charm of the Yuta Nakamoto "now". Delivered in full color with a substantial 160 pages.

✽ ✽ ✽


You can still buy your copy of this magazine here.

You can still buy your copy of the photobook here.

You can also support him by engaging with the free web version of this interview here.

Listen to YUTA's 1st Mini Album "Depth" here: Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | YouTube Music

Purchase YUTA's 1st Mini Album "Depth" here.

Comments