YUTA at Home Transcript Explaining the Details and Songs in "Depth"
YUTA at Home Transcript Explaining the Details
and Songs in "Depth"
Air dates: &
Translated by @cloudNYT
[T/N: This is a partial transcript of the YUTA at Home radio episodes aired on 2024.09.12 and 2024.10.03, focusing on Yuta introducing and explaining his first mini album "Depth". Headings in bold have been added for the sake of marking sections, but other than that, all the text in this transcript is spoken by Yuta.]
YUTA at Home
Explaining the meaning behind each album version of "Depth"
The details of my solo debut album "Depth" have been announced! Yay! Have you all seen it yet? There are 4 versions in total: 3 limited versions and 1 normal version.
The first one is the "Internal Ver." This is the main version. It takes a close look at my inner self and expresses a way of life where I show who I am in a straightforward manner.
The second one is the "Superficial Ver." I may appear a certain way on the surface, but inside, I'm also filled with all kinds of emotions like joy, anger, sorrow and pleasure. This version expresses those emotions.
The third one is the "Existential Ver." That said, the outer self that people see on the surface is also a self that's worth loving, and this idea is reflected in the visuals.
The album features photos with strong visual impact, truly embodying the concept of Depth, which means having deep layers. It reflects my intention to take my first step in showing all of my emotions and how I live my life. It's by properly facing oneself that one can live with hope. This theme also ties into my tour that's titled "HOPE".
YUTA at Home
The thoughts and meanings behind the titles "Now", "HOPE", and "Depth"
Yuta Nakamoto 1st Solo Photobook "Now"
"Now", "HOPE", and "Depth" are so me. [...] Actually, they all share a common theme. I wanted to fully capture the meaning of why I exist as the YUTA I am in 2024. The photobook "Now" represents the path that has led me to who I am today. It was shot in Seoul, and because it was shot there, it is something that could only be captured now. The photobook contains various images that can only exist at this moment in time, so I think everyone will be able to see the entirety of who I am now.
YUTA Solo Debut Showcase Tour ~ HOPE ~
"HOPE" carries a lot of different meanings. I wanted to show something different from the performances I have done with NCT 127, so I feel excited and confident. Of course there's also some anxiousness, but in the end, it's about taking that first step. I know there will be mixed reactions doing a stage like this. Most people probably still have the image of NCT YUTA etched in their mind, so it might feel a bit strange. It's not something I'd say out loud, but deep down, I hope people will still accept it.
People have many sides to them, right? Within each person, there's a strong side, a side that puts on a brave front, but there's also a weak side, a side that wants to be understood by other people. Well, all of that is connected to the album and to "HOPE". I believe that if you take a step forward, hope will surely be born. I hope that everyone who comes to see me perform on stage will feel a sense of strength and hope for the future.
YUTA The 1st Mini Album "Depth"
"Depth" reflects the image I have showcased in "HOPE". It is an album created with a strong desire to deliver my thoughts firmly to everyone. It includes songs that you would never hear in 127. I thought that was the best part about doing solo work. I really didn't want it to feel like an extension of 127, so I didn't want to put in songs that sounded like something that could have been done by the group. The album is packed with songs that only I could sing, songs that wouldn't have meaning without me.
Of course, I also had help from a lot of people, but for me, as my first step forward, this is an album I can confidently share with everyone, so I hope you'll all look forward to it. By giving shape to my core and my truth, I believe that the stages in "HOPE" will be something you remember for the rest of your life. I hope everyone takes the time to listen to it intently and thoroughly. I poured my heart into making it.
"Depth" Track List Introduction and Explanation
Track No. 01: LAST SONG
It's intriguing, isn't it? The very first track is titled "LAST SONG". Listener "Deeply Curious Yutami-san" sent a message saying, "I'm curious whether 'last' means the end or something that continues. I'm excited just thinking about it."
The word 'last' generally carries the meaning of 'the end' for most people, but I'd love for you to see the performance so you can truly understand it. I also want you to take a look at the lyrics. For me, both the lyrics and the track itself progress gradually like a gradient. It's called "LAST SONG", but how does it end? What nuance does it hold? What kind of lyrics does it end with? It may first seem like a song about the end or something a bit negative. People probably have that impression, but I think once you listen to it, you'll understand. It carries a hopeful meaning, like heading towards tomorrow, or something like, "This is how things were, but this is how I want it to be, so let's make it happen." The entire song is about my story, and it reflects how I got to where I am today. Of course, it's impossible to write my whole story in just one song, but I believe the message will get through. And if it does, I'd be very happy.
Track No. 02: Off The Mask
Now, let's move on and listen to the second track "Off The Mask". This is the title track for "Depth". "Off The Mask" means to take off your mask. Everyone lives their life wearing a mask. I do too. We all have our true selves, but depending on the situation, there are times when it feels like we need to behave a certain way. So, it's not necessarily bad to wear a mask. Revealing everything isn't always the answer. But there are times when you get this uncomortably itchy feeling, right? In those moments, it's okay to honestly admit it's painful. I believe others will also see it as what it is.
There may also be people who want to do that but feel like they can't. That's why sometimes, it's okay to take your mask off and let it all out. Taking it off isn't being selfish. It's okay to cry. It's okay to vent to someone. It's fine as long as it comes from deep within your heart. It's about sharing those parts of ourselves with others. Likewise, when someone shows you their true self, you should respond to them properly. It's like cheering each other on. If it can give courage to everyone, that would be great. I chose this song because it's able to convey the meaning behind me releasing this solo album, and because I think it would make for a great title track.
My first mini album "Depth" is set to release on November 13, and all the songs have now been pre-released. Please listen to it a lot! Be sure to check it out on various music platforms. I'll be checking whether you're listening or not!
Track No.03: Save You
Next up is the third track, "Save You". Don't you think this is the rock song of the album? The chorus has this incredibly fast-paced feel, while the melody tugs at your heartstrings and feels somewhat nostalgic.
As for the lyrics, it has the idea of protecting everyone from fear. It's quite deep, but at first, it's about the fear I have within myself. I always tend to act a little tough. Everyone has probably noticed that about me. But there's this fear that I can't quite get rid of, and it's spreading inside my head. Then I thought, since I can't get rid of it, I might as well learn to live with it. Since I can't eliminate it completely, I have to keep fighting it. So from then on, it's like I'm telling fear, "I won't lose to you." The song begins with the lyrics "we're trading places", which is about switching places with fear. Fear has always been on top, controlling me, but now I'm saying, "I'm reversing where you and I stand." That's the message behind it.
Even though it's a song I sing for myself, I hope others can also find courage by seeing me confront my own fears. In that sense, it ties back to the idea of protecting everyone. I'd love to see this song become a tie-in for something. Did anyone hear that? I'd love to see this become a tie-in for something (laughs). I'll be waiting.
Track No. 04: BAD EUPHORIA
The next one is "BAD EUPHORIA". Everyone probably likes this song, right? It's great if you listen to it while taking a walk outside during this season. Plus, I think I sang it really well, and the lyrics are super interesting. It feels very me. Lines like, "set fire to this boring world" and "the "correct answer" that I want can only be found within the incorrect" are pretty bold. The song coveys the message, "Enjoy the world, and you're the winner." It also has a bit of a connection to "Off The Mask", carrying the meaning of "Nah, the ones who go for it are the real winners in life."
Track No. 05: PRISONER
The fifth song is "PRISONER". This song's message is about believing in yourself. Let me share a little behind-the-scenes story. I recorded this song about three times. It was a song I surprisingly struggled with. It was difficult. The melody was also challenging. There's quite a bit of English in the lyrics. That's because this song wasn't originally composed by me. It already had a demo. I really wanted to keep the rhythm of that demo, so that's why there's a lot of English in it. But in terms of its meaning, the core message is about believing in yourself.
Everyone probably has a prisoner inside of themselves. Everyone has something that's locking them up and preventing them from breaking free. But ultimately, the only one who can release you from that lock is you. This is where the message of believing in yourself comes in.
This song stays quite high throughout the chorus. I'm good with doing a high note, but continuously singing that high was challenging for me, so I struggled with this one more than I usually do. When I was recording it, I was worried about whether I could convey the melody and lyrics properly while continuously singing that high. That's also one point of this song, so I hope you pay attention to these aspects while listening.
Track No. 06: Goodbye
Next is the sixth track, "Goodbye". I wrote the lyrics for this in just 15 minutes, and it got approved in one go. It's the song I finished writing the fastest. I think everyone has moments when they wish they could rewind the past. But sometimes, the only way to move forward is to accept the past and move on. This song has a melancholic American rock feel to it. By the way, it's not a love song.
Track No. 07: Butterfly (Depth Ver.)
Let's move on to the next one. The final track from my first mini album "Depth"… Doesn't this make everyone happy? I hope it does. Everyone must have been waiting for it, wondering when it would be officially released. Finally, here is "Butterfly (Depth Ver.)".
I was debating whether to go with the original version, but as I envisioned the kind of solo artist I wanted to become going forward, I felt like the original wasn't quite the right fit. So I reworked it into a more rock version that suited me better and re-recorded it.
I think a lot of people associate this song with the stage performances during "The Link", but I reworked it while recalling what I felt when I was performing it under a single ray of spotlight at that time. It's a song that has been updated to reflect what I can express now.
This song portrays the strength of the butterfly, and how when it truly becomes your ally, it's like breaking out of a cocoon and being reborn. I hope you pay attention to the lyrics as well. The lyrics I wrote back then are a bit different from what I've written now, but I wrote the lyrics of the chorus while recalling the feelings I had back then. I hope you also pay attention to these changes as you listen.
Closing Remarks
How was it? That was my full introduction to all the songs from my first mini album "Depth". I've shared my thoughts about the songs, the album and the lyrics I've written, but I want you to listen to them however you want. That said, if you can feel the meaning behind the songs even just a little bit, I'd be really happy. Aside from the meaning of the lyrics, the melodies are also very catchy and easy to listen to, so I hope you'll listen to them a lot while you go about your life working out, riding in the car, or doing your chores. I've also got some other things prepared for the tour, so please look forward to it.
✽ ✽ ✽
You can listen to the following YUTA at Home Episodes here:
- [RAW] 2024.09.12 YUTA at Home (courtesy of ForeverYU)
- [RAW] 2024.10.03 YUTA at Home (courtesy of ForeverYU)
Listen to YUTA's 1st Mini Album "Depth" here: Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | YouTube Music
Purchase YUTA's 1st Mini Album "Depth" here.

Comments
Post a Comment