YUTA Billboard JAPAN Interview for "Depth"
YUTA Billboard JAPAN Interview for "Depth"
Released on
Interview & Text by Yukari Sakamoto
Translated by @cloudNYT
YUTA Takes on the Challenge of Being a Solo Artist Through His Mini Album "Depth"― "I am where I am today because of all the experiences I've had."
YUTA, a member of Korean boy group NCT, released his solo debut mini album "Depth" on November 13. The album contains a total of seven tracks, including the title track "Off The Mask". It is a work that reflects his identity as someone who openly loves rock. In October, he embarked on a showcase tour titled "YUTA Solo Debut Showcase Tour ~ HOPE ~" where he did 9 shows across 5 cities and seemed to have received a solid response.
In this interview, YUTA talked about a wide range of topics, including his mini album, his interactions with HYDE, whom he respects, his acting pursuits, and his group activities with NCT 127.
"Being able to bring it to life was a very big step for me."
Congratulations on your solo debut! When did you start working on this solo
project?
YUTA: I had been working on songs for a while, but it was around
January of this year that I started making specific preparations for
recording, asking myself, "What kind of songs would be good to put on the
album?" I think I started working on it around the time of NCT 127 3RD TOUR 'NEO
CITY – THE UNITY'.
Please tell us about the concept of your first solo mini album "Depth",
which was released on November 13.
YUTA: It's about the things buried deep within me… I wanted to pack
this album with all sorts of emotions, including things that I haven't been
able to show before, things that I haven't been able to say to everyone.
Actually, there were heavier songs than the ones I had put out, but I didn't
want to leave my fans behind, so I decided to go with these seven tracks for
now. I'd like to gradually move further with this sound going forward.
You have openly shared your love for rock music, but it was still a bit of
a surprise that the whole album is J-ROCK. I thought, "So this is what
you're going for!"
YUTA: I felt that this genre would allow me to discover a different
side of myself. I love having that intense exchange with fans. Even when I'm
with the group, I really enjoy performing songs where I could feel that energy
and tension. I thought that if I could incorporate that feeling into rock,
give it my own color, and enjoy it on stage with my fans, then I'd be happy,
and I believe that everyone listening to my music would feel happy as well.
Are the songs that you've been working on so far mostly rock?
YUTA: Almost all of them are rock (laughs). The ones that aren't rock
mostly lean towards J-POP.
Can you tell us about your history with rock music? What was your first
exposure to rock music as a child?
YUTA: It started with L'Arc~en~Ciel through a theme song for an anime.
From there, I got into artists like Janne Da Arc, lynch., X Japan, and many
more. K-POP wasn't as widespread back in our generation, and I grew up
listening to bands until junior high school. I thought it would be really
interesting if I incorporated J-ROCK into my music now, after having gone
through K-POP.
You're also known to have interacted with HYDE. How did you first meet
him?
YUTA: An acquaintance who knew I loved HYDE introduced us, and we've
gotten along well ever since. Even though HYDE is from the same generation as
my mom, I always find myself thinking, "Could he be younger than me?"
(laughs). I've had a lot of opportunities to work with people older than me,
but those who work at the top of their fields have such a youthful way of
expressing themselves and absorbing what they see that it feels like talking
to someone my own age. Especially HYDE. His skin is so radiant too (laughs).
After turning 50, HYDE has continued taking on challenges like touring in
America as a newcomer. It seems like you and HYDE share quite the similar
mindset.
YUTA: No, I think his mindset is actually stronger than mine. I've had
the opportunity to ask him why he continues to take on challenges, and he said
something like, "In Japan, people have a strong image of me as HYDE from
L'Arc~en~Ciel, so I want to go to a country where no one knows me and start
from scratch." It's the opposite of my situation, but I find it really
inspiring.
What do you two talk about in private?
YUTA: We don't really talk
about music~ (laughs). When I get drunk and say, "Please show me your shout."
He is so kind that he'll actually do it for me. Then, when I record it, he'll
playfully say, "Alright, that'll be 10,000 yen."
You seem to get along like friends. Going back to your album "Depth", you
are credited as a lyricist and composer on all songs except for "BAD
EUPHORIA". I think it's fair to say that this is a self-produced album.
YUTA: Yes. I think I was able to complete it with the help of many
people.
Please tell us about the production process. Which song did you start
working on first?
YUTA: I think it was "Save You". It began with the idea of wanting to
create a more exhilarating track with a Japanese melody. I worked together
with Japanese trackmakers on this one. I wanted the chorus to have a melody
that everyone could sing, so all the writers for this song worked on it while
singing along. We spent day after day making and re-recording it.
How was it working on the title track "Off The Mask"?
YUTA: "Off
The Mask" is probably the track that had the most revisions. In the first
version of the track, we added guitars, strengthened the drums, and added the
sound of the bridge. I wanted it to feel like it was gradually increasing
tension, so we made revisions while discussing it remotely.
To what extent was the first demo you made completed?
YUTA: The
chorus was just about finished. But with "Off The Mask", we focused more on
the track than the melody as we made adjustments to the song.
Did you discuss with the composers while you all sing the chorus together?
YUTA: That's right (laughs). I was pretty nervous. Sometimes we ended
up with some odd melodies.
That kind of work must be a lot of fun, right?
YUTA: I was really
nervous at first. There were so many people around. But it gradually became
fun (laughs). Sometimes we ended up making really weird songs, but even that
was a worthwhile experience.
Were the lyrics written afterward?
YUTA: Yes. They were written
after creating the melody. I wrote most of the choruses except for "BAD
EUPHORIA", but the lyrics were written after the melodies were completed.
This may be a bit unusual, but I wrote the songs with concerts in mind. After doing the showcase this time, I thought, "This approach to writing is just right." On the other hand, I realized that there were moments where I could have sung with more call-and-response interaction with the crowd, or where I thought, "If I do it this way, then they'll sing along and raise their hands." I would like to make use of what I learned for next time.
What was the most difficult part of creating "Off The Mask"?
YUTA: The shouts in the bridge were difficult. I had a hard time with
the screams, so I had to re-record them several times. I have a recording booth in
my house in Korea, but there's always a bit of sound that manages to leak out.
I find it hard to sing as wholeheartedly as I want while worrying about that,
and I was concerned it might lead to bad habits, so I rented a proper studio
to practice.
The group recordings and my solo recordings overlapped. The vocalization I use for each are completely different. After recording for the group, I would find it hard to get my shouts out. And after using my shouting vocals, the clean singing style that I need to use for group songs would come out raspy. Switching smoothly between the two might be something I need to work on moving forward.
When I watched the recording behind videos on NCT 127's official YouTube
channel, I was surprised to see how fast the group records the songs. What
do you feel are the differences between solo and group recordings?
YUTA: Ah~ the group recordings definitely do seem to go by quicker.
With group recordings, there are many people involved, and a detailed schedule
is in place, so you have to finish within the time frame given. But with solo
recordings, I was allowed to work on it until I was completely satisfied.
That's where they differ.
I heard that the songwriting was done remotely between Korea and Japan. Was
it done that way all the way to completion?
YUTA: Yes. It wasn't just the tracks. The vocals were also recorded in
Korea and sent over to Japan to have adjustments checked. There were
definitely many challenging aspects to it.
What was the most difficult part of recording this album?
YUTA:
Singing all the songs entirely by myself. Since it's just my voice throughout
the entire song, it had to be engaging. My respect for solo artists who
regularly pull this off has only gone up.
What are your thoughts now that you've made an album on your own?
YUTA: Being able to bring it to life was a very big step for me. If it
had been scrapped halfway through, I probably would have spiraled into
self-loathing… I think being able to take that first step with the help of so
many people was a major turning point for me.
There were some songs that you sang at the showcase that weren't included
in the CD. So does that mean… we can assume that there will be a next
release?
YUTA: Yes, of course!
I'm looking forward to that! You said that you made the album with live
performances in mind, and in October, you held your showcase tour "YUTA Solo
Debut Showcase Tour ~ HOPE ~" and did 9 shows across 5 cities. How did it
feel to actually sing in front of all your fans?
YUTA: It felt sooooo amazing! (laughs). Everyone showed up ready with
the right energy, so that really helped. I'm very grateful. The Tokyo shows
had sections where it was standing room only, and it felt like a hybrid of
K-POP and J-ROCK. Dori Sakurada (whom he co-starred with in a drama) came to
both days of the Tokyo shows and praised me (laughs).
What did you pay particular attention to when doing the live shows?
YUTA: The overall image of the showcase was that of a dark hero. From
the lighting, to the setlist, to the stage setup… I was particular about
everything. But I think it was made possible because I had staff who
understood my style and musical approach, and who immediately offered
solutions whenever I threw out ideas like, "I want to do something like this."
I'm very grateful. It was a wonderful environment to work with.
You talked about this a bit in the beginning, but what were the good things
about doing the showcase, and what do you think you need to reflect on for
next time?
YUTA: The good things… Well, I think just feeling like "I can do this"
is amazing in itself. I was fully prepared to go wild, but since I wasn't
going to be dancing, I wasn't sure what kind of reaction I would get. It's
good that I was able to do this and gain a sense of what I can carry over to
next time.
There are a lot of things to reflect on and work on, but I think I will need to address them together with the band and the staff and improve my skills as I go.
Performing with a band might have been a factor in making you feel "I can
do this."
YUTA: It's really great being able to perform with a band! The sound of
the band coming through my in-ear monitors was so cool (laughs).
"I want to make the kind of music I want to do and share it with all the fans who follow me on that journey."
Speaking of solo activities, you are also active as an actor in Japan. What
is your stance on acting work?
YUTA: Personally, I've always held the mindset that "music is my main
focus". Since different forms of entertainment are all connected in some way, I thought I could
handle acting with no problem. But during one particular project, I got exposed to the true depth of acting, and it really inspired me. It made me feel a
much stronger desire to properly engage in acting work as well.
There are probably things from acting that you can apply to your music
activities.
YUTA: I feel like the similarity can be found in moments when you get
completely into character or when you fully immerse yourself into the role.
It's like being deep in the zone… But I haven't gotten to that point yet
myself… Whether it be in acting or in music, I think people who can fully
immerse themselves on stage without thinking about anything have something in
common.
You are active around the world as a member of NCT 127. But I'm curious
about what you, as someone directly involved, think about "performing on the
world stage". It's something that only a handful of people get to
experience, isn't it?
YUTA: Right, thankfully, I don't get flustered by ordinary things
anymore (laughs). Being able to meet fans from all over the world and seeing
their reactions is something I'm very grateful for. Because we've been in
various environments, and encounter different situations each time, I feel
like I've built up my mental strength and the ability to be quick on my feet.
In the past, there were times when I would be overwhelmed by the energy of
fans.
What does it feel like performing in front of 50,000 or 100,000 people?
YUTA: I don't really get that nervous. I'm grateful that so many people
come to see us perform. But it's not about the number of people. Whether it's
50,000 or 1,000, I think the most fun part about performing on stage is seeing
what kind of resonance you create with the audience.
What "core" of yours do you think has been cultivated in being a member of
NCT 127?
YUTA: I guess it's 'not being easily swayed by others'. In a team, everyone has
different experiences and ways of thinking, and the musical styles and
environments also change as well. I think everyone experiences moments where
they like something but feel as though they can't openly express it. But I've
learned how important it is to express goals like "This is what I want to do"
or "This is who I want to be" without feeling ashamed or being
swayed by others.
With so many members in NCT 127, it must be challenging to adjust each
other.
YUTA: In a team, of course there are times when you have to give in.
That applies to every member. But even despite that, each member still has
certain things they find they absolutely cannot compromise on. It's important
to improve the quality of the group's work while also finding ways as a team
player to protect those personal convictions.
I'm sure there are joys you obtain from each setting, but what kind of joy do you find is
specific to doing solo work?
YUTA: I think it's the fact that everything goes directly back to me. Compared to when working in a group, there's a
greater sense of anxiety and pressure now, where I have thoughts like "What if
I fail?" But conversely, the sense of accomplishment that I feel after
overcoming something is a completely different sensation than when working in
a group.
You seem to like taking on challenges.
YUTA: No, I think it's
more about the timing of it all. It was the same when I decided to go to Korea
where I just felt it was the right time to do it.
Where does your motivation to keep challenging yourself come from?
YUTA: Simply put, it's because "I love what I do". I think about music
all the time. I listen to music even when I'm relaxing. It's something
incredibly valuable to me, so I don't find it burdensome at all. I just find
myself thinking, "I want to show even more to everyone." or "I want to refine
my work even more."
Do you immerse yourself in music even on your days off?
YUTA:
Yes, I listen to music. I don't really go out. I listen to rock music or watch
video lectures on vocals.
Is it so you can apply it to your work?
YUTA: No, I watch them
because I genuinely want to. That's why it helps me relax.
So you're a person whose hobby has become your work.
YUTA: Maybe so.
Doesn't that mean it's your calling?
YUTA: I guess you're right. I'm
grateful for it.
It's impossible to make your dreams come true if you don't have your own
driving force.
YUTA: I guess so. But I've always said this – I've truly been blessed
with the people around me. I may be the one saying, "I want to do this!" but
it's all been possible thanks to the people who help fill in the missing
pieces and expertly bring everything to life.
I think it's because you have what it takes to bring that out in people.
YUTA: That's why I feel like I'm pretty powerful when I'm in the zone
(laughs).
Can you tell when you're getting in the zone?
YUTA: Earlier, I
said, "I haven't gotten to that point yet myself." But there are times when I
feel the signs of getting there.
Do you find it easier to get into the zone when doing live shows?
YUTA: Yes. But it often happens right at the very end, so it also ends
very quickly (laughs). Up until the middle, I find it hard to get into the
zone because my mind is too cluttered with thoughts like, "Is this where the
stage marking is?" or "I should leave my water here." That's probably why it
mostly happens around the last legs of a tour, towards the end after having
performed many shows. I think it's the same for the other members as well.
What are your plans after your solo activities in Japan?
YUTA:
Preparing for our world tour, NCT 127 4TH TOUR 'NEO CITY – THE MOMENTUM',
which will start at the beginning of next year. I also need to take good care
of my health.
Health is wealth, after all.
YUTA: It really is. I make sure to
drink green juice, enzyme drinks, and vitamins to keep myself in good shape. I
also make sure to get enough sleep and keep the air humidified.
In addition to physical health, what do you think is important to keep your
mental health in check?
YUTA: That's a hard one… To be honest, what I think is, "It's okay to
fail. You'll get through this because everyone is here together with you."
Moving forward, what are your ambitions as a solo artist?
YUTA:
Next year, I'd like to perform at festivals. I've performed at Summer Sonic
with the group before, but I'd like to perform at festivals with my own sound.
And… of course, perform in Budokan!
I see that you're thinking about taking proper steps as a rock artist.
YUTA: It's because I look up to cool seniors, with HYDE-san being the
first on that list (laughs). I will do my best in my own activities while also
fully enjoying group activities.
Can you picture yourself in your 40s or 50s like those senior artists?
YUTA: I'd like to keep making the music I want to make and share it
with all the fans who follow me on that journey.
Inspired by artists who are active on the world stage, more and more young
people are going to Korea. As someone who has led the way, what would you
like to convey to the next generation?
YUTA: I think it's worth giving it a try. If you go for it, you'll gain
a lot of experiences and also encounter some setbacks. It was like that for me
too, but there are so many things you won't know until you try. I don't think
it's common for teenagers to already know what they want to do. So if you have
a clear goal, I think it's a good idea to make proper plans and give it a
shot. When you're in your teenage years, you have plenty of time to work with,
after all.
Do you have any regrets about your teenage years?
YUTA: I'd be
lying if I said no, but I'm glad I did all the things that I needed to do and
managed to tie it all together.
You're 29 now. Do you have any regrets about your twenties?
YUTA:
I have a lot of regrets! But I also learned a lot from them. I'd like to
think, "I am where I am today because of all the experiences I've had." They
say 30 is when a man's life truly begins. This is just the beginning!
✽ ✽ ✽
Please support YUTA by engaging with the original link to this interview here.
Listen to YUTA's 1st Mini Album "Depth" here: Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | YouTube Music
Purchase YUTA's 1st Mini Album "Depth" here.

Comments
Post a Comment