YUTA on NCT 127 OFFICIAL BOOK Vol. 11
YUTA on NCT 127 OFFICIAL BOOK Vol. 11
Released on
Translated by @cloudNYT
NCT 127 COLOR ISSUE – YUTA ✕ GREEN
INTERVIEW ABOUT YUTA
The theme of this photoshoot was green. What image comes to your mind when you
think of the color green?
YUTA: It reminds me of nature and trees. It
gives off a somewhat warm and relaxing image. If you ask me whether I like the
color or not, I'd say I like it. I find it calming when there's green inside
the house. Although I like looking at it, I don't really wear it much
(laughs).
How much do you feel in sync with the color green?
YUTA: Probably zero
(laughs). I don't own a single fashion item that is green. The things I wear
are either black or gold. It's not that green doesn't suit me, but it may have
to do with my personal identity, and I guess the colors that reflect how I
want to appear or how I want to be seen by others just doesn't include green.
Just like my relationship with rock music, there's this part within me that
fundamentally wants to be seen as strong and cool in my own identity. No
matter how I think about it, rock and green just don't feel like they belong
together (laughs).
What comes to mind when you hear the word 'green'?
YUTA: I sometimes go hiking on mountains on my days off, so that's the green
that comes to mind. I prefer dark green over bright green. A shade of green
that gives a sense of calm to the mind. Now that I think about it, I don't
like crowded places to begin with, and I don't really like bright colors
either. So in that sense, I know I said that my sync rate with green is zero,
but maybe I 95% sync with dark green. It's a zero for bright colors, though. I
sound so extreme (laughs).
What serves as the source of your sensibilities?
YUTA: It's difficult to
pinpoint just one thing as the source of my sensibilities. I went to Korea,
met all the members, went through so many twists and turns, and now I've been
able to make the kind of music I want to make. Speaking of music, I've been
listening to rock music since I was around 7 or 8 years old, so I think those
preferences and experiences have led to my current sensibilities. Also, my
older and younger sister were both into dancing, so I've always had an
affinity for music from a young age. Though, personally, I wasn't really into
dancing at that time (laughs).
What kind of things do you usually get inspiration from?
YUTA: In terms
of music, it's HYDE's songs. Recently, I've been listening to a lot of Linkin
Park as well. Emily's [Armstrong] voice is so cool! I also get inspiration
from things like skulls and snakes… I guess I'm into things that don't quite
fit the current times we live in (laughs). Some people say that my tastes lack
mass appeal, but I don't really care and just focus on seeking inspiration
from the things I personally love. With The 1st Mini Album "Depth" and my
"Solo Debut Showcase Tour ~ HOPE ~", I believe I was able to sprinkle in bits
of what I wanted to convey and what I've always kept within myself. But I
haven't poured everything out yet, so from now on, I would like to continue
making music that expresses more and more of my own self.
What do you think is the general image people have of you?
YUTA: Clumsy
and a bit absentminded (laughs). People around me often say that, and
honestly, I totally agree because I really am absentminded. I'm not
particularly good with things either… I always make small mistakes in
everything I do. For example, I always forget things. I'm now on my 9th pair
of wireless earphones (laughs). While doing my activities in Japan, I forgot
where I placed them about 3 times, and my manager was always searching for
them. Sometimes, I do manage to find them after searching, so if I include
those times, I've probably forgotten where I left them about 30 times already
(laughs). But when I hear the word "clumsy", I feel like I'm being viewed
affectionately, so it makes me feel kind of happy.
What do you think has shaped your individuality?
YUTA: I think it's
J-ROCK. I grew up watching Japanese culture from a young age, so I think that
the things that have always been there in my life, like anime and J-ROCK, have
now become part of who I am today. Among J-ROCK artists, I'd say L'Arc~en~Ciel
is the one that has influenced me the most. I often listened to their songs in
anime when I was little. So now, doing rock music makes me genuinely happy.
Right now, where do you feel you can be yourself the most?
YUTA: It's when I'm doing music. I had really fun doing my showcase. I
constantly hope that both K-POP fans and rock fans would give my music a
listen without any preconceived notions. I wanted to try making music with a
completely different vibe from the music we do as a group, so I tried to
express my current self with this showcase. Of course, even when I'm with
NCT127, I feel like we've built up chemistry with the fans in such an
incredible atmosphere, so I think I can be myself the most when I'm doing
music.
How would you analyze your own personality?
YUTA: I don't know what my
own personality is (laughs). But I think I am meticulous. And also forgetful
(laughs). It may sound contradictory at first, but even though I make a lot of
mistakes, I'm pretty meticulous in aspects like being punctual and not making
plans before work. It's all or nothing with me. If I decide to do something, I
fully commit to it. If I decide not to do it, then I won't do it at all. I
deal in extremes (laughs).
They say "like idol, like fan", but what do you think most of your fans are
like?
YUTA: Most of them are kind. They're kind and considerate. I
haven't seen their actions directly, but that's the impression I get. All of
my fans are really wonderful people.
What do you think is your role within NCT 127?
YUTA: When performing on
stage, I think my role is being the "gunpowder". K-POP songs are often
performed with tightly coordinated singing and dancing, but when I tried
adding some rock-style shouting that I like, I could feel everyone getting
into it. To be honest, I think that might have been what kickstarted NCT 127's
current performance style (laughs). I believe I serve as a kind of explosive
detonator.
As for my role backstage, I don't really have one. My role is "nothing" (laughs). I just leave everything to the other members. Even If I don't say anything, NCT 127 will still run smoothly (laughs). As a member of NCT 127, I just follow Doyoung-senpai's lead (laughs). Doyoung is taking the lead for this concert as well. I would like to simply follow the members and have fun.
In 2025, we'll be active as a team with 6 members. We have never performed as a group of six before, so I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous, but we're working hard to put everything together despite the anxiousness each of us feels inside, so I would be happy if everyone could kindly watch over us.
What kind of person do you want your future self to be?
YUTA: As a solo
artist, I want to create works that can lead to the next, and I'd be happy if
my music could reach not only those who like K-POP but also a wider range of
people. If I can make that happen and it all comes together in the future,
then there is meaning in me sharing my music.
As a person, I want to be a cool, cute, and dandy guy… I'm kidding (laughs). I want to become someone who can confidently speak my own opinions. During my solo activities this time, I realized that I needed to grow into the kind of person that makes people feel glad to stand behind my dreams. I want to become the kind of person who can create an environment where everyone, including the staff who support me, can feel a sense of accomplishment.
YUTA ~THE OTHER SIDE~
Showcase tour, music video, album jacket
photoshoot……
A world unique only to YUTA, unveiled through his solo
activities
A report on his first-ever showcase tour "YUTA Solo Debut Showcase Tour ~ HOPE ~" that was held in Fukuoka, Hyogo, Aichi, Tokyo, and Osaka, as well as a report on the music video and album jacket shooting for YUTA The 1st Mini Album "Depth". Even though he shows a stoic demeanor with unwavering conviction, glimpses of his loveable humanity can also be seen… We bring you the true charm of YUTA.
YUTA Solo Debut Showcase Tour ~ HOPE ~
After the opening video, YUTA made his 'descent' on the stage, seated on a throne with a hood cloaking his face. Shouting, "Are you ready?", he started the first song, "New World", instantly taking everyone to another dimension that is YUTA WORLD. Without pausing for breath, he followed with "Save You" and "Two Of Us", where massive cheers and headbanging erupted! During "Possiboo-hoo", he riled up the crowd, saying, "Let me hear your voices!", reveling in a call-and-response exchange with everyone. He then passionately performed his own rendition of "Shinshoku -lose control-", a famous song by L'Arc~en~Ciel, and "GLAMOROUS SKY", a song composed and produced by HYDE. Moving around the stage, he exclaimed, "This is the best! When you all go crazy, it makes me go crazy too!" It was clear that YUTA himself was having the time of his life. Afterwards, he then captivated the audience with his emotional vocals in "PRISONER" and "Goodbye". Still reeling from the sudden changes in tempo, in the blink of an eye, the show was nearing its end. He shouted "I won't let anyone speak!" during "Off The Mask", and sang his determination to fly "Stronger and higher" during "Butterfly (Depth Ver.)". By staying true to oneself, hope will eventually come into view. As red lights engulfed the entire venue, the intense stage performance came to an end, marking YUTA's awakening as a solo artist and leaving behind a sense of "HOPE" that lies ahead.
TALK
After a live performance with almost no MC segments, he reappeared on stage in a more casual outfit. "Everyone who came here today likes me, right? (laughs)", he said as he started the talk segment with a sense of closeness that made it feel like you were chatting with a friend. YUTA personally selected the questions that had been gathered in advance and asked those questions to the audience in the venue. He called each person by name, made proper eye contact, and said his "thank yous", His sincerity was evident in the way he thoroughly and earnestly answered every question. He was warm, friendly and quite cute. It was a delight to experience the "real YUTA" – so full of humanity and starkly different from the "rockstar" persona he had shown earlier. He shared his honest feelings about being scared and anxious for this showcase, but then he continued on to say, "I realized that the only way to grow was to take on new challenges and overcome them.", where his words were met with a big round of applause from the audience. It became clear that YUTA WORLD was the manifestation of the unity shared between him and his fans. Then, he moved on to the last song, "BAD EUPHORIA". He concluded the show with words full of love and hope, saying, "I love you all!"
MOVIE
The concept of the VTRs played during the show was "the intersection of the YUTA he himself wants to show and the YUTA that everyone wants to see." Filmed with various lighting conditions, he switched from being playful in one moment to having a cool demeanor in the next. His ability to switch seamlessly to match each scene earned high praise from the director. By the way, YUTA himself was amazed by the red contact lenses he wore, exclaiming, "They're so red! Wow!"
YUTA's VOICE
How do you feel now after making your solo debut and holding your first solo
showcase tour, "YUTA Solo Debut Showcase Tour ~ HOPE ~"?
YUTA: It was
fun. Really. During the first day in Fukuoka, I think the fans were still a
bit confused, but that was probably because the songs had only just been
released. But with this showcase and even with NCT 127's concert tours, the
more we performed, the more it felt like both we and the fans were coming into
our own. I think you could feel that atmosphere developing at each location.
In particular, since a band gets more refined with each live show, I could
really feel how our sense of unity as a band kept growing stronger over time.
During the MC segment, you said, "Actually, I was anxious and worried before
the tour started." In what way were you worried?
YUTA: I was worried
about whether I would be able to do it all on my own, but once I started it,
it turned out to be a lot of fun. I was determined to push through even if I
made mistakes. Up until now, I had been focusing on making things look as
perfect as possible, so it felt really great let out the different emotions I
had inside of me for once. I was able to show that "Yuta actually has this
kind of side to him too." Including moments like my voice going hoarse, I
think it was a live show that had a different feel from the usual.
For this showcase tour, in terms of expressing a "YUTA" that's distinct from
NCT 127 YUTA, what aspect did you focus on the most?
YUTA: This time, I
wanted to get rid of the idol-like elements. To be more specific, I cut down
on the MC segments and focused on singing continuously. While there were
moments where MC segments could have been added, I avoided the usual route of
interspersing them throughout the show. In addition, I incorporated all of my
own ideas like having no outfit changes mid-show, going for a completely
different musical vibe, performing everything with a band, and even giving
input on the stage design. I also did things like getting henna tattoos and
splashing water… I really did everything that I wanted to do. I guess that's
the appeal of performing as a solo artist. Of course, I roughly
plan out certain actions that I'm going to do for the live performance, but
having the freedom to do them whenever I feel like it is really thrilling. I
can do things like splashing water onto the crowd, taking off my clothes, and
going down from the stage. In a group setting, if I suddenly do those things,
it would just end up catching all the members by surprise.
You mentioned feeling a strong sense of unity with the band members. How did
you build that relationship?
YUTA: We didn't have a lot of rehearsals,
but since we were all around the same age, and there were members who were
also from Osaka, we hit it off instantly and practiced together. Outside of
practice, we got together a few times and grew so close that we started
talking about things like, "It would be great if we could write a song
together next time." It really feels like a proper band. I hope we can
continue to work together in the future.
The opening performance of "New World", where you made your appearance while
seated on a throne, was shocking. Could you please tell us any
behind-the-scenes story and how that stage direction came about?
YUTA:
That stage direction was my idea. I wanted to create an overwhelming king-like
presence, as if saying, "I'm going to rule this place." (laughs). I've seen
that kind of direction in anime for years. I have always loved dark heroes in
anime, like villains who are rivals to the protagonist or unsung heroes that
stay in the shadows. I wanted to evoke an image of a dark world like Batman's,
so I decided to use a throne for the performance. Especially during the
opening intro, where the stage direction was set to make my shadow appear
towering, the cheers from the crowd were so loud that I could even hear them
through my in-ear monitors. It was electrifying!
Feeding off the hype and excitement, Czennies were headbanging very
powerfully! How did you feel seeing their reaction?
YUTA: Before the tour
started, I was worried to the point of thinking, "I hope everyone gets into
it." So I couldn't help but think how it looked so cute seeing everyone give
their all while headbanging.
During the TALK segment, it was impressive to see you calling each Czennie by
name and making proper eye contact while speaking to them. How did it feel to
talk to Czennies so closely like that?
YUTA: It wasn't awkward at all. If
anything, I felt confident. Everyone there came because they like me (laughs).
I don't mean that in a smug way. At NCT 127 concerts, each member has their
own fans, but at my showcase, people came because they genuinely like me, so
how could I not enjoy talking and singing in front of them!?
What left an impression on me was just how many cute questions there were. It's like that saying "Great minds think alike." I received questions like, "I forget things a lot. What should I do?" or "Are you Team Bread or Team Rice?" (laughs). Another thing that left an impression on me was seeing so many fans come from all over the world. There were people coming from Korea, Chile, Argentina, and so on. I would like to do this kind of solo activity around the world one day. I definitely want to make that happen.
Please tell us again about the thought that went behind naming this tour
"HOPE".
YUTA: Basically, I gave it this title hoping that listening to my
songs would lift everyone's spirits up, even if only a little. But to explain
it on a deeper level, I want to convey to everyone the image and style that
I'm going for moving forward, and I genuinely hope that everyone will accept
me as I am. I wanted to convey this not only to my fans, but also to the
people around me and to the members. In that sense, I really unleashed it all
in the title track "Off The Mask". I didn't want to put out a half-hearted
song or a half-hearted vocal performance. I'm not sure if these wishes of mine
were fulfilled during this tour, but I think this is just the beginning.
How did the other members react to your solo debut?
YUTA: All the members
told me, "It was great!" Also, Haechan watched the music video and said, "It
was so shocking!" Though I didn't ask him what exactly was so shocking about
it (laughs). But hearing that made me happy. It means I really went all out.
That is the best compliment I can get.
You debuted in Korea as part of a group and debuted in Japan as a solo artist.
How do you feel about having such an experience that not many people get to
have.
YUTA: I'm thankful to have been given the opportunity to release a
solo album, and thanks to everyone, the showcase was a success. I'm truly
grateful. Having had the valuable experience of working in both Korea and
Japan, as well as K-POP and rock, I want to continue properly incorporating
these influences moving forward. It would be amazing if people from both Japan
and Korea could listen to my music. If all the experiences I've had until now
manifest in tangible results, that would be really great. But for that to
happen, I know I will need to continue working harder.
YUTA The 1st Mini Album "Depth"
MV
The music video for "Off The Mask" expresses YUTA's powerful declaration of staying true to himself, taking off all of his masks, and laying himself bare. Before filming began inside the set that was designed as a closed-off space, YUTA checked the areas where the light illuminated his face and where it didn't. He even gave his own ideas like, "Wouldn't it look cool if I go against the light and create a silhouette effect?" It was a sight of a person that was determined to create something he was satisfied with. The birdcage floating in the air symbolizes YUTA being trapped in his own shell and feeling conflicted. His considerate nature showed as he repeatedly thanked the staff for preparing towels and chairs to cushion his knees and other body parts from the discomfort caused by the scene where he was bound in chains. And then, in the scene filmed amidst the wind and rain, touches of red that gave off a Japanese feel were incorporated, creating a world that was unlike any other. Since everything was going to get drenched in water, there was only one chance to get it right, but with his remarkable focus, a flawless take was delivered.
JACKET SHOOTING
The jacket photos for YUTA The 1st Mini Album "Depth" were shot in various locations: a studio, the city streets, and a hotel. First, at the studio, he moved his body freely with the music while doing the photoshoot. When he was praised for a dynamic shot of him jumping, he responded saying, "Did I jump?" It seems that he was instinctively moving in his own way without even realizing it. For a makeup look featuring smudged lipstick, he suggested, "It might look more natural if I rub it with my own hands." And when asked to make his expression "more sinister", he flashed a smile tinged with madness. His ability to embody concepts was truly remarkable. Next, the shoot moved to the nighttime city streets, where he sat in the driver's seat of a black convertible. He laughed nervously, saying, "It looks cool, but it seems scary to drive something of this length…" The final scene took place in a hotel bathtub surrounded by candles. In between shots, he would look at the behind-the-scenes camera, showing that he was enjoying his first solo photoshoot in his own Yuta way.
NCT 127 PRESS
We followed the NCT 127 members' activities in Japan, including the events commemorating the release of YUTA's first solo photobook and album, and his appointment as a cosmetics brand ambassador!
YUTA 1st Solo Photobook "Now"
Released on 2024.10.17
YUTA's first
solo photobook "Now" is a completely original collection of photographs shot
over three days in Seoul, Korea. YUTA himself suggested poses for some shots,
showing off a variety of expressions ranging from cool to cute. The outdoor
shots were taken against the backdrop of clear blue skies and beautiful
nightscapes. And to top it off, it's a book that's packed with his candid
photos and his natural charms!
Press Conference Commemorating the Photobook Release
2024.10.19 @TOKYO
A
press conference was held before the photobook handover event. "I'm more
nervous doing this than performing on stage…" said YUTA. When asked about his
favorite photo, he flipped through the photobook and chose one, saying, "I
know for sure which photo everyone will love!"
Handover Event Commemorating the Photobook Release
2024.10.19 @TOKYO
2024.10.25
@OSAKA
Handover events were held in both Tokyo and Osaka. The venues were
wrapped in a friendly atmosphere from start to finish as YUTA personally
handed over the photobooks, greeting even the Czennies who were nervous.
YUTA as Japan Ambassador for 3CE
YUTA was appointed as the Japan
Ambassador for 3CE, a creative makeup brand from Seoul, Korea. During the
shoot of the web commercial and key visuals, he paid attention to the angle of
his fingers to ensure that the shimmer on his eyelids looked beautiful and
repeatedly coordinated with the director about the timing of opening his eyes.
YUTA The 1st Mini Album "Depth" Release Event
2024.10.16 @TOKYO
2024.10.24
@OSAKA
An event commemorating the release of his first album was held in
Tokyo and Osaka. The event featured a talk, high-touch, and autograph session
where he had a great time with Czennies. YUTA looked really happy to hear the
fans personally say to him, "Congratulations on your solo debut!"
HANDWRITTEN MESSAGE FROM YUTA
"2024 was truly a fulfilling year for me. I made my solo debut, released a
photobook and a mini album, and even held my own tour. I packed all these
memories into this commemorative 11th volume, so I hope you enjoy reading
through it! Thank you so much to all the Czennies who are always supporting
me! Let's have fun together this year too~!!"
✽ ✽ ✽
Listen to YUTA's 1st Mini Album "Depth" here: Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | YouTube Music
Purchase YUTA's 1st Mini Album "Depth" here.


Comments
Post a Comment