YUTA Radio Comments and Interviews for "Depth"
YUTA Radio Comments and Interviews for "Depth"
Translated by @cloudNYT
[T/N: To promote the release of "Depth", YUTA made numerous short appearances on various radio programs in Japan. The translations below are transcripts of select broadcasts where he shared some insights about his album and solo debut that, to my knowledge, he has not mentioned in other media interviews.]
- YUTA on bayfm's BRAND NEW HOT SHOT
- YUTA on bayfm's BRAND NEW HOT SHOT
- YUTA on J-WAVE's START LINE
- YUTA on NACK5's Hit Hit Hit !!!
- YUTA on KBC Radio's Kitemasu. K
YUTA on bayfm's BRAND NEW HOT SHOT
Good evening, everyone. This is YUTA. I'll be in charge of this segment for this week. Thank you for tuning in. To start off, we have a song from my first mini album "Depth", which was released today. Here's "Off the Mask" by YUTA.
Once again, this is YUTA. The song you were just listening to was "Off The Mask" from my first mini album "Depth", which was released today. It's finally out today! Yay! I've received comments from the other members saying they listened to it when it was pre-released and that they thought it was cool. But I haven't shown them the finished album yet, so I'm looking forward to showing it off the next time we see each other (laughs).
The song you're hearing now, "Off The Mask", is the title track of the album. Everyone wears a mask, and I think that's perfectly normal, but the song's message is that, at least once, we should try to take it off and free ourselves. It's a song that says, "Take a step forward with me."
The music video also does a wonderful job of expressing the worldview of the lyrics and the sound. I was very particular about the color scheme used as well. To create a contrast with my hard-hitting performance, I opted for more subdued and moody tones rather than using primary colors. I also tried to incorporate a sense of overwhelming beauty and a hint of Japanese aesthetics. I paid a lot of attention to these details.
As for the meaning behind "Depth", I think I'm someone who shows everything fairly honestly, but I believe this period was a great opportunity for me to discover parts of myself that I was unaware of. Well, I think everyone has parts of themselves that they'd rather not face, but I want to continue valuing the importance of confronting and taking a hard look at those parts of ourselves.
For more information about my first mini album "Depth", please check out the official website. Today, I've brought you "Off The Mask" from my first mini album "Depth", which was released today. I hope you'll join me again tomorrow. This was YUTA. Bye bye!
YUTA on bayfm's BRAND NEW HOT SHOT
Good evening, everyone. This is YUTA. I'll be in charge of this segment for this week. Thank you for tuning in. To start off, we have a song from my first mini album "Depth", which was released yesterday. Here's "Off the Mask" by YUTA.
Once again, this is YUTA. The song you were just listening to was "Off The Mask" from my first mini album "Depth".
Prior to the release of this mini album, I held my first ever showcase tour titled "YUTA Solo Debut Showcase Tour ~ HOPE ~". The idea behind this showcase title was inspired by the thought that everyone faces a lot of 'firsts' in their life. I've also had a lot of worries, wondering what I'd do if people didn't accept me or my music. I hoped that everyone would accept this side of me and the person I am as I challenge something new. I hoped everyone would enjoy listening to my music and watching my performances. This showcase was built around those hopes. I titled the showcase "HOPE" with the hope that everyone who watches the showcase will feel the courage and hope to take a step forward.
As for the overall structure of the showcase, I was very particular about the lighting and the video elements. To really convey my determination to move forward with my style, I decided to cut out a lot of the MC segments and had instead gone with an uninterrupted one-hour long live set. I was quite worried about whether I could pull it off, but I thought that showing how I'm planning to do things moving forward through actions would be quicker than just explaining it with words. That's why I chose this kind of structure for the showcase. Afterwards, a video was played and then I had a 30-minute talk segment. It was really fun actually getting to look everyone in the eye while having the same kind of banter that we usually have on my radio. I would like to hear everyone's thoughts about it too.
With my solo, I once again felt how different it really is from the kind of music we do as a group. That's why each and every action of the fans felt new and distinct from how I would usually perceive them as part of a group, so it was a lot of fun. I had some worries about how everyone would respond to it because it was different from what I do with the group, but everyone actually followed me along more than I had expected. There was nothing to worry about after all. It was so much fun.
As for my goals moving forward, I have already started preparing for next year. First, I'll focus on creating new music, gradually refining the quality, and if possible, I'd like to put out a release as early as next year. As for NCT 127, I'm looking forward to the world tour and live performances we'll have starting next year. I'll do that while also making sure to prepare myself well for my own activities.
Thank you so much for joining me during the release week of my album. I'd be really happy if those who haven't heard of me before became interested in me. For more information about my first mini album "Depth", please check out the official website. That was "Off The Mask" from my debut album "Depth". This was YUTA. See you next time!
YUTA on J-WAVE's START LINE
YUTA: Good evening, Mila Hasegawa-san, and to everyone listening to "START LINE". This is NCT's YUTA.
Hasegawa: I was curious about the kind of training this shouting and singing style
requires, so I asked Yuta about it.
YUTA: When I came to Japan, I took
lessons from a trainer that specialized in this style, and I also practiced on
my own. I'm exploring various vocal techniques. It would be such a waste if I
settled on one too soon. I also make sure to take good care of my voice.
Hasegawa: What aspects of "Depth" did he pay particular attention to?
YUTA: I
think I paid a bit more attention to the lyrics. As for the melody and genre,
since they're something I like, I definitely wanted to challenge myself with
them. But in terms of expression, I was most particular about the lyrics.
Hasegawa: NCT 127 has showcased a wide variety of colors in its performances. I asked
about what he was conscious of when dealing with the difference between
performing as a group and performing as a solo artist.
YUTA: I had a
conscious desire to express something different. I saw the differences in each
setting as a strength, so I was conscious of making sure that both
performances maintained their own unique worldview.
Hasegawa: Lastly, I asked about his enthusiasm for future activities.
YUTA: First
of all, there are so many things I still want to challenge myself with. I
can't really say that I've completely unleashed my potential yet. From now on,
I'd like to keep working hard to make the music I want to make and continue
doing so without wavering.
My first solo album "Depth" has a total of seven tracks. It's filled with emotionally stirring songs. Now, we have a song from NCT 127's YUTA The 1st Mini Album "Depth". Please enjoy "LAST SONG" by YUTA.
YUTA on NACK5's Hit Hit Hit !!!
Good evening to everyone listening to "Hit Hit Hit !!!" and to Shiho Shingu-san. This is YUTA. In this segment, I'll be introducing my first solo mini album "Depth".
I've been working on it for a long time, but seeing the reactions from fans and from people who love rock has given me a new sense of fulfillment. Since this was my first solo album, I had a hard time deciding on a title that would best express myself. I wanted to express myself by laying everything out quite honestly. So in that sense, I chose the title "Depth" meaning to reveal the deeper layers of who I am. The album comes in four versions, each representing aspects of my inner self, outer self, and my existential self. There's also an LP-sized version, which I think you can enjoy displaying.
There were some rhythms and flows that just didn't work in Japanese. I wrote the things I wanted to convey in Japanese, but whenever I had to choose between the two, I experimented a lot and went with the language that felt like the better fit. There were a lot of challenging aspects, but the joy of creating it outweighed it all. It was simply fun.
NCT 127's tour will start in Korea this January. I believe my other solo activities will be announced soon. Please check the official website and social media accounts for updates. Now, I'll say goodbye with this song. Here's the title track from my album, "Off The Mask". This was YUTA.
YUTA on KBC Radio's Kitemasu. K
YUTA: Good evening to everyone listening to "Kitemasu. K" and to Kyoko Kato-san. This is YUTA from NCT. I have made my solo debut and released YUTA The 1st Mini Album "Depth" last November 13! To start off, we have a song from my first mini album "Depth". Here is "PRISONER".
I've received a lot of questions this time, so I'd like to answer a number of them.
Kyoko: Your album is titled "Depth", which means deep layers, your solo concert is
titled "HOPE", and your photobook is titled "Now". What is the meaning behind
each of these titles?
YUTA: Since the photobook was shot in Seoul, I was
able to take a lot of photos that capture expressions that I can only show
now, reflecting moments of my everyday life and the path I have taken so far.
It shows me as I truly am now.
As for "HOPE", it carries my personal hope that people will like my new style. I'd be happy if everyone watching me could also receive the courage and hope that I felt when I took that first step forward. That was my thought behind it.
The album represents my innermost thoughts about what has been and what lies ahead. I created the album hoping to make the feelings experienced by those who watch my live performances even more wonderful.
Kyoko: Each title really makes sense. With the photobook showcasing your visuals, the
live shows showcasing your performances, and the album unveiling a new side of
you, it truly was a series of activities that satisfied the eyes, the ears,
and the heart. Now, you've got many songs of your own, but what was the
concept or intention behind the selection of the 7 songs you chose for
"Depth"?
YUTA: During the showcase tour, I also performed quite a few
songs that weren't included in the album. But for my first step, I think I was
able to put together a tracklist that delivers my emotions in a cool and
honest way, showing everyone the kind of style that I want to go for as a solo
artist.
Kyoko: I heard that you were involved in the songwriting process for your album
"Depth". What's your usual style when writing lyrics? For example, do you
write down the words on your phone, type them into your computer, or write
them by hand? Also, when and where do you usually work on them?
YUTA:
Hmm… I usually work at night. I often work on them alone at night. For
composing melodies, I would sing acapella into the mic, record something and
delete it, then record something and delete it again. I repeat this process
several times. When making the full track, I have someone help with the
programming. And as for the lyrics, I often work on them alone in the middle
of the night, lying in bed with the lights off while typing on my phone. I
write them on my phone and bring them into the studio to record. If the sound
doesn't feel right during the
recording, I go back and rework it. That's
how my songwriting process usually goes.
Kyoko: Wow! Just imagining that scene – you typing away on your phone lying on a small bed of a dimly lit room, with all your pure emotions brought to life and packed tightly into that phone, then letting it all burst out on stage, evoking such powerful emotions in people – thinking about that really warms the heart.
Kyoko: Looking back on the making of this album, could you tell us what the most
memorable thing was for you? And if there were any unexpected happenings,
please tell us about them too.
YUTA: If we're talking about unexpected
happenings, I guess this counts as one. I have different ways of vocalizing,
and the way I vocalize for my solo work is completely different from when I
record for the group. So when I did the recordings for my solo album, I
decided to try out different microphones. In the recording booth, there are so
many microphones to choose from. Really. So one time, I asked if I could use
the mic I had used before for a rough recording since I felt more comfortable
and familiar with it. When I tried recording "PRISONER" with that mic, the
sound quality turned out so bad that we had to re-record it all over again.
That was one unexpected happening. But because of that, I was able to get more
practice in singing the song, and I think it made "PRISONER" turn out even
better. I was pretty flustered at that time though. I guess you really
shouldn't switch microphones halfway through (laughs).
Kyoko: Wow! I'm glad to hear stories behind the making of your album. Thank you for
sharing! Now, for your first showcase tour "YUTA Solo Debut Showcase Tour ~
HOPE ~", since you were performing alone, were there any aspects you paid
particular attention to or put special effort into?
YUTA: The aspects I
paid particular attention to or put special effort into… I'd say it was the
lighting and stage setup. Those aspects are, of course, really important when
putting on a show on stage, but if I had to say what I really put my thought
into, or what my core motivation was, it was making sure that things didn't
look overly polished. I started this solo with the desire to break out of my
shell, so I didn't want it to be about things like making sure my face looked
picture-perfect. I wanted to go a level beyond that, even if it meant having a
sense of wildness. I wanted to create a show that would make people genuinely
think, "This guy is amazing!" or "Ah, so this is what he wanted to do." So in
that sense, there weren't really any strict rules about what had to be done.
Sure, there was lighting direction and stuff, but other than that, my mindset
for this showcase was to just go all out for every show.
Kyoko: That sentiment truly came across clearly. Lastly, could you give a message to
everyone listening to the radio and introduce the next song for us?
YUTA: I've taken on the challenge of showing a side of myself that's
completely different from what I've shown in the group. I hope all of you can
also face your own challenges without fear and enjoy the rest of 2024. Lastly,
here's another song from YUTA The 1st Mini Album "Depth". Please enjoy
listening to the album's title track, "Off The Mask". This was YUTA. See you
next time!
✽ ✽ ✽
You can find the full list of YUTA's radio appearances for "Depth" here. You can listen and find most of the listed radio apperances on this thread here (courtesy of @mocha_nyt).
Listen to YUTA's 1st Mini Album "Depth" here: Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | YouTube Music
Purchase YUTA's 1st Mini Album "Depth" here.

Comments
Post a Comment