YUTA on NHK-FM's Music Line for "TWISTED PARADISE"

YUTA on NHK-FM's Music Line for "TWISTED PARADISE"
Air date:
Translation and Subtitles by @cloudNYT

[ENG SUB] Full Interview:

[!] Do NOT repost or re-upload my videos without permission.


[ENG TRANSLATION] Text Transcript:

Intro

Mizuki: You're listening to Music Line with Mizuki Fukumura. Now, we'll have our guest join us. He's here with us tonight. Please introduce yourself.

YUTA: Nice to meet you all. I'm YUTA from NCT 127. I look forward to working with you.

Mizuki: We're glad to have you. This is your first time on the show. Thank you for coming.

YUTA: Thank you for having me.

Mizuki: Looking forward to speaking with you. Since it's your first time here, let me give a brief introductory profile. YUTA is a member of NCT 127, a dance and vocal group made up of members with various nationalities within the global group NCT. In addition to group activities, he has also been active in various fields as an actor and media personality. And last year, he made his debut as a solo artist. Today, he'll be introducing his first single, "TWISTED PARADISE". I would like to ask various questions about you and your work. Thank you in advance.

YUTA: Looking forward to your questions.


Debut Story and Being in NCT

Mizuki: For those listening to the show, please use #ミュージックライン when posting. Now, let's get started. First, I'd like to start with a basic question. You've been mainly active in Korea as a member of the global group NCT, but when did you first start dreaming of becoming an artist?

YUTA: Well, my older sister was a dancer. So ever since I was little, I would go watch her music and dance recitals. I was very interested in it, but during my teenage years, I couldn't bring myself to actually say it out loud. I was more of a soccer kid, you see.

Mizuki: Oh, is that so?

YUTA: Then one day, I saw TVXQ on TV, and that's when I started to think, "Ah! I want to be an artist who can sing and dance like them!" So I went ahead and auditioned on my own and decided that I was going to Korea.

Mizuki: Without telling anyone?

YUTA: That's right (laughs).

Mizuki: What!? Your family must have been shocked, right?

YUTA: They were. I thought they'd oppose it if I told them, so about a few weeks before I left… So I actually passed the audition while I was in high school... I remember saying something like "I'm off now!" So up until now, I still remember my parents' surprised faces.

Mizuki: Ah~ I heard you went to Korea when you were 16, but did you ever feel lonely or homesick?

YUTA: But at that time… That's 14 years ago. That's crazy. I was young back then, and my excitement outweighed everything else, so I didn't feel homesick at all… The homesickness came several years after I went, but I don't think I was homesick back then.

Mizuki: After moving to Korea, you went through a trainee period and then debuted as a part of NCT. Not only have you worked in Korea and Japan, but you've also experienced doing world tours. Through your activities with NCT, what kind of stimulation do you get on a daily basis?

YUTA: Honestly, with world tours… We just did a world tour recently too. We get to go to so many different countries, but the fans in each country express their love so differently depending on the country. The different cultures we experience in each country are also really stimulating. Even now, with our fans who we call Czennies, I'm stimulated by the presence of Czennies from all over the world.

Mizuki: It's really different from place to place.

YUTA: Totally different. But in a good way, it's motivating.

Mizuki: Got it. I heard you were the first Japanese member to debut in your agency, so did you feel any pressure at the time?

YUTA: Pressure? No, I… I didn't really feel that. TVXQ and many other senior artists were already active in Japan, so it didn't really feel like there was a distinction just because you're Japanese or Korean. Especially since our group was a global one. There were members coming from the US and Canada, so I don't think I felt particularly pressured.

Mizuki: NCT is loved all around the world, but personally, what do you think is NCT's appeal?

YUTA: NCT... NCT? The whole group? Or just 127?

Mizuki: Either is okay.

YUTA: 127 is a really glob… Well, NCT as a whole is very global, so there's a lot of… How should I put it… Every single person is different even though we're in the same group. Right… Even within K-POP, our team is really unique. Everyone has their own fashion style, preferences, and hobbies in life. Even our musical styles are different. But when we come together on stage in front of our fans, I think the synergy and energy that we're able to create and bring out is what makes us such a captivating group.

Mizuki: When you're in the same group, I think it's pretty common for people to end up liking the same things or for certain trends to catch on within the group, but you guys all go on completely different paths.

YUTA: Yeah, it's not like that with us.

Mizuki: Really? Wow! I'm really curious what's it like in the group… That's amazing.

YUTA: I think that's what makes it great though.

Mizuki: Right. You don't often see that. Within the group, what kind of role do you feel you play?

YUTA: My role…

Mizuki: Like your position.

YUTA: Hmm… I think it'd be great to be seen as the explosive detonator. My solo activities have been gradually increasing, and I've always been really interested in J-ROCK and rock. Back then, I thought, "I really want to challenge myself in this direction." So even before going solo, I gradually started trying my hand at things like screaming and shouting. It was really a genre of vocal style and performance that didn't exist within NCT 127. Gradually, how should I put it, it became this established thing. And not only the fans but the members were also really stimulated by it. They were like, "Makes me feel like I can go even harder in our performances". So now, I feel like I've kind of become an "explosive detonator" that ignites the group, and I think that's great.

DJ Mizuku: What's it like in your daily private lives?

YUTA: In our private lives… (laughs). Our group has a lot of really talkative members, so usually, I just leave everything to them (laughs).

Mizuki: Oh, is that so (laughs). Sounds like pretty reliable members.

YUTA: Yes, they are… So I leave quite a lot to them (laughs).

Mizuki: (Laughs) I see. So when the moment comes, you burst out and become the explosive detonator.


Working as a Solo Artist

Mizuki: While being active with your group, you made your solo debut last year. Have you always had the desire to try going solo?

YUTA: Yes, I have. Of course, as part of the team, we've received support from fans all around the world. I'm truly grateful for that, and a sense of responsibility has grown from it as well. But apart from that, as I mentioned earlier, I also had a desire to try making rock music and try a more intense sound as a solo artist.

Mizuki: Oh, I see. Well, I felt like you had a lot of super intense and cohesive-sounding songs. It's been about half a year since your solo debut, do you feel a difference between group and solo activities?

YUTA: I do. First of all, like I mentioned earlier, I don't really talk much when I'm with the group. I tend to leave it all to them. So when working solo, I have to be the one to communicate what I want, and deal with the pressure as well, but to a certain extent, I can also make the music the way I want to, and I get to be directly involved in other things like merch and lyric-writing. So I think the fun part about it is that I get to encounter new things as I work day by day.

Mizuki: Do you ever feel a bit lonely when your members aren't around?

YUTA: I wonder if I truly do… (laughs)

Mizuki: Since your members are usually there, but suddenly, on stage, you're like "Oh, I'm alone!"

YUTA: Ah, I don't really get that feeling when I'm performing solo.

Mizuki: Oh! You mentally switch gears?

YUTA: Yes, I do.

Mizuki: Oh, I see. When I watched videos of your solo performances, I was thinking, "How's he moving so freely like that?"

YUTA: Oh, thank you.

Mizuki: That is what I was thinking. What goes through your mind while performing?

YUTA: I don't think I really think about much.

Mizuki: Really!?

YUTA: When I start thinking, it might be a sign that things aren't going so well.

Mizuki: Oh, I see. So you just go with the flow or let your body move naturally?

YUTA: Yeah, I think so. When performing solo… When performing as a group, there's choreography involved, so things like where you move and what order you move in have already been planned to a certain extent. But when performing solo, the spotlight is only on me. I always say, "Everyone here likes me, right?" I say it all the time. It feels like I'm kind of at home. Well, I don't know if that's the right word, but performing somehow feels easier. Because whatever I do is the right thing to do. If I mess up, it could be a mistake, but still, I feel like I can freely do anything.

Mizuki: Wow! You carry yourself with such confidence, and I really think it's incredible. When I'm alone on stage, I start thinking things like, "Will I remember the lyrics?" Do you ever feel that way?

YUTA: I do. I do.

Mizuki: Oh, you do! I'm so glad (laughs). You just don't seem like someone who would.

YUTA: Everyone does. I think everyone probably experiences it.

Mizuki: Right. It happens.

YUTA: But once it starts, it's like "The show must go on."

Mizuki: Wow, that's incredible.


Yuta's Personal Side

Mizuki: We've been talking about you as an artist, but I'd like to delve into your more personal side as well. I was looking at your profile and it caught my attention. It says your favorite drink is green juice. Do you like green juice?

YUTA: (Gasps) It's not that I particularly like green juice (laughs). I was drinking it for my health, but lately, I've been having enzyme juice, and also, convenience stores have started selling these shakes packed with bananas and other fruits, and I think they're great, so I've been drinking those recently.

Mizuki: Ah, right, like the smoothies. So you started drinking those kinds of things for beauty and health reasons?

YUTA: That's right. I feel like I usually tend to eat meat and other pretty greasy foods, so I thought I should get my nutrients somewhere (laughs).

Mizuki: Oh, like vegetables and fruits? But seriously, your skin is really beautiful.

YUTA: Not at all.

Mizuki: Do you have a particular skincare regimen? I imagine with all the flying around the world, you must get pretty dry skin.

YUTA: Yes, I do.

Mizuki: Both the throat and the skin.

YUTA: Yeah, like when you're on a plane.

Mizuki: It must be tough.

YUTA: That's why I make sure to carry things with me. Like wet filter masks, face packs, and sheet masks. Well, I'm not super diligent about using them on the plane though (laughs).

Mizuki: (Laughs) Of course. Still, to be constantly traveling like that is really impressive. Also, among your hobbies and favorite things, you have half-body baths and bath additives.

YUTA: Wow… I'm starting to sound like such a beauty enthusiast (laughs).

Mizuki: (Laughs) It does give off a beauty enthusiast vibe, but are baths a healing time for you?

YUTA: That's right, I find it healing. When you're overseas, it's hard to find places where you can take half-body baths, so when I come back to Japan, I always make sure to do it.

Mizuki: Oh, in Japan.

YUTA: Right. There aren't really bathtubs in other countries.

Mizuki: Oh, I see. That's true. Do you have particular preferences when it comes to bath additives?

YUTA: I do. There's this bath additive with a really nice Japanese cypress scent.

Mizuki: Sounds calming.

YUTA: I really like the smell of trees, mountains, and nature. I especially love Japanese trees and mountains, so I often take a bath using bath additives with those scents.

Mizuki: Do you keep a big stock of them?

YUTA: I keep a lot (laughs).

Mizuki: (Laughs) It's important, isn't it?

YUTA: I change them by season (laughs).

Mizuki: (Laughs) Really!? Wow. By the way, what would you say is your number one way to refresh yourself?

YUTA: Besides taking baths?

Mizuki: Yes, aside from that?

YUTA: What else? Going to see nature in the mountains.

Mizuki: Really? Do you go hiking?

YUTA: I used to. Not so much now, but I kind of feel like I might have lived in the mountains in a past life. I know it might sound a little weird...

Mizuki: (Laughs) No, not at all.

YUTA: When I look at trees, I kind of feel like they're saying hi to me.

Mizuki: Is that so?

YUTA: Yes. So when I see trees or nature, I feel really at peace.

Mizuki: That's nice. I think it's really wonderful that you can slowly refresh yourself doing something that's totally different from your usual work. Well then, let's play a song from YUTA's first single album "TWISTED PARADISE". Please introduce the song for us.

YUTA: Please enjoy listening to "TWISTED PARADISE".


Talking about "TWISTED PARADISE"

Mizuki: Music Line. The song we just played was "TWISTED PARADISE", the first single by tonight's guest, YUTA. I felt a sense of cohesion in its refined soundscape. The song was both bold and delicate, carrying a distinctively wintery atmosphere that nestles close to the human soul. Thank you.

For those who missed any part of tonight's broadcast, you can listen to the broadcast through NHK Radio's "Rajiru☆Rajiru" website or app for one week after the program ends, as many times as you'd like. For more details, please check the program's homepage.Tonight, we have YUTA with us as our guest. Once again, thank you for joining us.

YUTA: Thank you for having me.

Mizuki: The song we just played, "TWISTED PARADISE", is the title track of your single album. Could you tell us what thoughts went into writing it?

YUTA: In this song, I put some of the feelings I have about our current times into the lyrics. These days, there are so many tools available, and we live in a time where people whose faces we can't see can write all sorts of things. So, it's easy for them to write things like "this person is weird" or "that's the kind of person they are" about people they can't see. But in a way, maybe it's the people behind those posts who helped create the very people they now criticize. When you think about the hidden circumstances behind how a person ended up the way they are, maybe the people casually writing things and tweeting from a distance are the ones responsible for creating the people who are now being called crazy. I wrote the song with that kind of story and meaning in mind.

Mizuki: That's deep. It feels even more profound after hearing it explained like that. You've also shared your self liner notes on social media. In them, you wrote about "the importance of realizing that there is indeed a world beyond what we see". Is that what you meant by that?

YUTA: That's right.

Mizuki: I see. As you work as an artist, do you ever think about the possibilities of these unseen worlds?

YUTA: I like imagining (laughs).

Mizuki: Right (laughs).

YUTA: I imagine all sorts of things.

Mizuki: Really? So, what kind of world do you see right now?

YUTA: Right now? (laughs)

Mizuki: Yes (laughs). Like the future you imagine.

YUTA: The future I imagine... I'm imagining "TWISTED PARADISE" being heard by tons of people and really resonating with everyone (laughs).

Mizuki: (Laughs) Thank you for answering (laughs). I think your vocals here are wonderful too. What kind of vocal approach did you have in mind?

YUTA: What kind of vocal approach... Well, I definitely wanted to sing it powerfully. It actually took me quite a few takes.

Mizuki: Oh, I see.

YUTA: At first, I was planning to have it entirely in English. Sound-wise and lyric-wise. When I heard this track, I felt that with the number of sounds in Japanese, it would inevitably end up sounding flat. So at first, we wrote everything in English. But then, for the important parts that I really wanted to convey, even though it was just a few lines, I decided to try writing them in Japanese to some extent. So I rewrote the lyrics in a hurry and went through quite a bit of trial and error.

Mizuki: Oh, I see. The line "Warau nda kurushinda" (I laugh as I suffered), the way you sang it really hit me emotionally. So you put even more feelings into the Japanese parts?

YUTA: That's right. I just disregarded the flow for that part. It was originally packed in there in English. But when people laugh… Nowadays, don't you think people rarely laugh out of genuine happiness? We laugh to hide something, or… how should I put it, we laugh to avoid the situation.

Mizuki: Right, but we might be doing that without even realizing it.

YUTA: Right. I feel like that's what's happening. Of course, there are times we laugh because we're genuinely happy, but I feel like the other kind of laughter happens more often. I sang it with a touch of sadness, hoping that people would notice and become aware of this.

Mizuki: Ah, so that's what you meant. Also, I thought the arrangement had a really striking guitar riff. Did you have an image of the kind of song you wanted to create when you started working on it?

YUTA: Well, for this song, the track itself and everything were already there, but when I make songs, I usually start from a concept. For example, with this one, it's kind of beautiful, but within that beauty, there's loneliness, transience, and a touch of crazy madness. I imagine things like how it would look in a music video, or at a concert, or how I'd look like singing it. And from there, I create the melody and connect it to the lyrics. That's often how my process goes.

Mizuki: That's why I felt like I could really picture the atmosphere of the audience.

YUTA: Oh, really? Thank you.

Mizuki: While listening to this song, I could really imagine you singing it live. I could see you holding out the mic to the crowd…

YUTA: Really!? With this song?

Mizuki: Yes (laughs).

YUTA: Holding the mic out? (laughs)

Mizuki: Like you singing with your arms wide open, or maybe singing together with your fans. That's what I picture while listening to it (laughs).


"HOPE" Showcase Tour

Mizuki: Also, I'd like to ask about the other songs included on your single album. In addition to the new songs, it also includes live recordings from your solo debut showcase tour in Tokyo last year. I heard that it was your first solo showcase tour. Looking back, how was it?

YUTA: It was fun. I was very nervous about it, but it was a showcase that made me feel "I'm glad I did this." It was a showcase that allowed me to gradually grasp a sense of "Ah, this is how solo artists and all those amazing rock artists create their own worldview together with their fans."

Mizuki: Oh, I see. Were there any parts of putting the stage together that you struggled with?

YUTA: Since it was a showcase, of course there were a lot of things I was particular about, but my main mindset was "just give it a try for now". Of course, it's good to be particular about the things you should be particular about while nothing has started yet, but rather than saying "this should be like this" or "this should be like that" when there's nothing there yet, a bigger part of me just wanted to give it a try and use what I learn from it to improve next time.

Mizuki: I heard that you also performed some cover songs during the tour. Was there a different kind of nervousness when singing cover songs compared to your own songs?

YUTA: Oh, definitely. (laughs)

Mizuki: Right.

YUTA: Especially since I really love HYDE.

Mizuki: I see.

YUTA: I covered HYDE and L'Arc~en~Ciel songs, and so I was like "I can't mess this up." Of course, I want to sing my own songs well, but there was a different kind of nervousness doing the covers.

Mizuki: Right. I feel like I can sense a strong HYDE influence in your solo songs. Are there aspects where you're consciously influenced by him?

YUTA: Consciously… Well, we're friends in real life, but he's so amazing. I want to aim for and even surpass his level someday.


Talking about "When I'm Not Around"

Mizuki: Oh, I see. Up next, we'll be playing "When I'm Not Around". The lyrics are credited to you alone. What kind of thoughts did you put into this song?

YUTA: In the lyrics, there's a line in the chorus that goes "It doesn't matter, go for it", and I thought that line was just so me. And if people listen to this song, whether it's during an important moment or whatever it may be, I hope there can be a day when they can stay true to themselves without being swayed by others' opinions and say "It doesn't matter. Go for it!" Yeah, I'd be happy if it could give people that kind of strength.

Mizuki: Are these very powerful words a core part of your personal philosophy?

YUTA: Hmm… I want to be like that. I try to live that way.

Mizuki: I thought the power in your vocals was also really amazing. Did the song naturally lead you to sing it that way?

YUTA: When I heard this song, I thought, "Ah, I want to sing it like this."

Mizuki: Oh, I see. Well then, let's go ahead and play the song. Please introduce it for us.

YUTA: Yes. This is "When I'm Not Around" by YUTA. Please enjoy.


YUTA TALK SHOW 2025

Mizuki: Music Line. That was "When I'm Not Around" from tonight's guest YUTA's first single album "TWISTED PARADISE". With the song's energy, sense of speed, and powerfully explosive vocal delivery, it's like getting to witness Yuta's cool way of living.

YUTA: Thank you.

Mizuki: Thank you. You're starting your first "TALK SHOW" tour this month, visiting 7 cities across Japan. It has just begun, but to the extent you can share, what kind of tour will it be like?

YUTA: Well, this time too, as I move forward with my solo activities, I want more and more people to get to know my music. With the hope of becoming closer to everyone, I'll be doing lots of talking. And a little bit of singing too.

Mizuki: Oh, I see.

YUTA: That's what I'm doing, yes.

Mizuki: It's called a talk show, but are you good at talking yourself?

YUTA: Erm… It depends on the time and situation (laughs).

Mizuki: (laughs) Right, of course.

YUTA: But like I said earlier, only people who already like me are coming, so I naturally end up talking a lot.

Mizuki: Right, everyone's head over heels (laughs).

YUTA: It'd be great if they became head over heels (laughs).


Ending Comment

Mizuki: (Laughs) Once again, please share your enthusiasm with us.

YUTA: Yes. I'm going to be doing a lot of various activities moving forward, so please continue to support me. The two songs on the single album are very different from each other. So for "TWISTED PARADISE", I explained it earlier, but if listening to the song makes you feel a little more in touch with the important things that can't really be seen, or makes you wonder about what's going through someone's mind, then that would make me happy. And as for "When I'm Not Around", I hope people listen to it and get completely hyped up.

Mizuki: Thank you. For more details about YUTA's upcoming schedules, please check their official website and social media. And with that, tonight's guest was YUTA.

YUTA: Thank you very much.

Mizuki: Thank you very much.

✽ ✽ ✽


Listen to YUTA's 1st Single Album "TWISTED PARADISE" here: Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | YouTube Music

Purchase a physical copy of YUTA's 1st Single Album "TWISTED PARADISE" here.

Comments