YUTA on ONENESS
YUTA on ONENESS
Air date:
Translation & Subtitles by @cloudNYT
[ENG SUB] Full Episode Links (1080p):
YUTA - 'TWISTED PARADISE' Performance | ONENESS (1080p):
YUTA - 'Goodbye' Performance | ONENESS (1080p):
YUTA - 'PRISONER' Performance | ONENESS (1080p):
[!] Do NOT repost or re-upload my videos without permission.
[ENG TRANSLATION] Text Transcript:
Oneness (Noun)
- The state of uniqueness, singleness, unity, identity, immutability
- Agreement, harmony (of thoughts, feelings, purposes, etc.)
Opening Silence
YUTA: I think I'm not very good at opening up about myself. Yeah. I've been like that ever since I was young. There's this side of me that tends to put on a brave front, and I worry about things on my own until the very last minute. And rather than consult someone and ask for their opinion, I go through a process of trial and error in my own head to find answers. I think I'm the type of person who only consults the people I confide my worries to when I truly don't know what to do anymore.
The musician sets out without knowing the destination. The music performed resonates with the space it finds itself in. -ONENESS-. A one-of-a-kind moment where sound and scenery join together in a music session.
Artist YUTA
1995: Born in Osaka
2012: Became the first Japanese
person to debut under his agency
2016: Since his debut with NCT 127, he
has garnered attention as a global sensation and has expanded into new areas
of work as an actor and radio DJ
2024: Made his solo debut in Japan with
his 1st Mini Album "Depth", pursuing his own musical expression
YUTA, a pioneering figure among Japanese artists who are active as part of global groups, made his solo debut in Japan last year. He journeyed to a maritime route that has existed since the Jomon period, Kagamigaura Bay, Minamiboso. Within the rugged, industrial space of a shipyard that still operates to this day, what kind of performance will he be showing us?
A song that questions the gaze: YUTA – TWISTED PARADISE
In a Twisted World
YUTA: Having sung in this place, while I myself get very emotional when I perform, something about this shipyard's atmosphere mixed with the lighting helped me really get into the performance.
Well, this song is about how, in today's world where there are so many social media platforms and tools available, I feel like there are so many people who desire to become somebody. And before they know it, that desire shifts the reason of their existence to "doing things for someone else" or "doing things to make this person happy". In doing so, I feel like people really do change based on the kind of environment they're in. Hmm… If someone tries to better themselves for someone else, there's a possibility that they might end up going in the wrong direction. But when they do go in the wrong direction, maybe the people looking from the outside are saying things like, "That person is like this", "That guy ended up like this" or "I wonder why they became like that?" We've come to live in a world where people can make such remarks without thinking. Maybe, just maybe, the person you're now calling weird is someone you helped create. That's the message this song conveys.
A song that sings of a heart that feels like it's being torn apart: YUTA – Goodbye
Rock Your Self
YUTA: I've always loved rock, so when it came to doing solo music, I wanted to express myself with a musicality and style that was 180 degrees different from the music we do as a group. I had this growing desire to try rock music that I loved, so I went for it.
I joined in 2012 and debuted in 2016. At that time, the image of an artist I had in my mind was someone who sang ballads and danced, but with a bit of that old-school Japanese pop vibe. That's what I liked, and musically, I still do even now, so I wanted to be that kind of artist.
Today's music tends to focus on the rhythm, the way the music sounds, having simple melodies, and making songs that are easy to sing along to, and of course I value those things too, but more than that, I'm drawn to things that are a little rough around the edges over things that are beautiful. I think… I think artists who draw on their emotions when they sing are cooler than those who sing without feelings. Maybe I'm just the kind of person who's drawn to melodies that really hit you deep, even if they're a bit awkward.
This has nothing to do with rock, but I really respect my father. He's very awkward and not good at expressing himself, but… he has strong personal convictions, or rather, he's a father who has a core of what's important to him. Maybe it's because I've watched him since I was little, but I've always wanted to be the kind of cool man that he is. So when I talk to him sometimes, or when I think about aspiring to live my life the way he has, I think, "Ah, this might be what rock is."
Energy and Desire
YUTA: I don't create songs all by myself. Of course, I create them together with some friends who help me out. And as for lyrics, I write them when I'm on the plane (laughs), or I'm constantly writing stuff down whenever I have time. Lately, I've been taking walks a lot as part of my daily routine. I usually take the same route when I walk, but someone told me that if you find 15 things that are different from yesterday on that same route, it'll really enrich your perceptiveness. So I write down words for the different things I find, and use them in my songwriting.
But really, like I said earlier, doing rock requires a lot more energy than I thought it would, and I still feel like the challenges and anxiety are constantly following me around. I still haven't become the person I envision myself to be, but I want to become that person. I want to be acknowledged for the music I make and the style I've crafted, and maybe that desire is stronger right now. Of course, I do want to deliver something to people, but to be honest, I want a lot of people to see what I do and acknowledge it.
My Team, My Way
YUTA: I really… I spend more time with them than I do with my family. They're friends who have been with me through so many joys and sorrows. What are they to me? That's another difficult question (laughs). Of course, they're very dependable, they make up for the things I can't do, and are really important members to me. Even when we're not on stage, they're members who support me in all kinds of ways... (laughs), so I really cherish them.
But I don't really… Like I said at the start of the interview, I don't really open up about myself. In Korea, people say things like "I love you" or "I like you" a lot, and also show a lot of physical affection. I don't usually do those kinds of things, so I want to use this opportunity to tell my members thank you for everything. Let's get them to watch (this show) (laughs).
I think the people who are supporting me now are fans who originally loved NCT 127, and loved YUTA from NCT 127, and are following me now that I'm doing solo music. But my fans and I are basically beginners in rock, aren't we? We're just starting out. That's what makes us unique. I think there are performances that I can do precisely because of my K-POP background. And when… how should I put it… When rock music is fused with that, I believe I can create music that's very original to me. With that music, and with the fans who are following me now, I'd like to create a world of rock that's uniquely ours. I think that would be really interesting.
Born to Try
YUTA: The most important thing to me in my life... I guess it's to give things a try, to take on challenges. If I stop here… Well, I've already worked hard all these years, and I think I could probably just stay here doing the same thing if I wanted to. But I don't think I would ever be able to forgive myself if I just stopped here. If I keep moving forward and end up failing, I believe there's still something to be gained from it, and I want to use what I gain as nourishment to keep challenging myself. I want to push through and believe that I can handle it, even if it's something that scares me.
I think everyone watching on TV right now probably has someone they admire or someone they really respect. When you see them on screen, they look so glamorous, dignified, confident, cool, cute, and beautiful, and you probably think, "That's so nice. I'm jealous." But we're definitely all just the same. Before going on that stage, those people are very nervous, trembling, and maybe even crying. But they're choosing to face it anyway. So I want people to know that it's the same for me too. I also get scared. I also tremble. So… we're all the same. But even with that, if there's something you want to do, you just have to do it. So I hope you do your best.
What I'm trying to believe in and what I want to believe in is "myself". First of all, it's not about whether I can believe in myself or not, I want to believe in myself. There are definitely fans out there who believe in me. I want to love myself and believe in myself so that those people don't feel ashamed for believing in me. That's what I always keep in mind.
A song that sings of liberation: YUTA – PRSIONER
YUTA: "PRISONER" is kind of connected to "TWISTED PARADISE". I can never live up to other people's expectations of me or be the person they think I should be. It's my own clumsy way of expressing that message.
I got so emotional performing "PRISONER", somehow my body just moved on its own, and the lighting was really amazing, I felt like I wanted to escape from something.
YUTA reflects on ONENESS
YUTA: That's a hard one (laughs). Oneness... Honestly, I'm still in the
process and stage of searching for it. I haven't exactly figured out what my
state of ONENESS is yet. But today's performances of "TWISTED PARADISE",
"Goodbye", and "PRISONER" were something new for me, so while the stage I
showed today wasn't ONENESS itself, I think it brought me closer to something
like that. Sorry for such a vague answer.
✽ ✽ ✽
Listen to YUTA's 1st Single Album "TWISTED PARADISE" here: Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | YouTube Music
Purchase a physical copy of YUTA's 1st Single Album "TWISTED PARADISE" here.

Comments
Post a Comment